GSXR750 SRAD engine build

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Re: GSXR750 SRAD engine build

Post by badgerKDD »

ooh shiny B-)
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
scooby601
Learner Driver

Post by scooby601 »

Slowly getting there! May be a tad quicker then Tivi.......... :roll:

Pistons back into the barrels, all in the right ones and facing the correct way!

Solder on the pistons in a G shape, the manual calls for just a piece on the top and bottom of the piston but making a G means I know what exactly what is the top and bottom. The head was then torqued down and the crank turned to squash the solder against the head, remove the head and measuring the solder was next.

The racing manual says to go to 0.7mm, so I'll have a little skimmed off the top of the barrels, not too much but a little as it will also make sure the top is deal level too.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Oh that's cool,
Decking the block to increase compression ratio,
Do these work well with dialing the cams in slightly over also or not worth the extra effort??
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
scooby601
Learner Driver

Post by scooby601 »

Hmmmm, need to get back on this now!! :D

Yes they will be dialled in Ruffian, going to go for the kit manual setting first then maybe try a little different too, see how it goes really.

Really not made much progress, but have sorted the generator now so have a full K1 set up saving weight

Have sourced a new cam guide blade, not the usual plastic but this is fully metal and made for the job. Kind of hard too see the difference compared to what was in there but MUCH thicker.

And finally have the 3rd cylinder head for the project, 2 just wasn't enough really........ :))
This has been ground, not fly cut as doing it that way if the valve seats aren't ground back they would have scratched the surface. Took a while to find someone who can surface grind them but well worth the wait. Next this will be cleaned and ported, hopefully will get onto that next week all being well.

Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

I thought you would go total loss on this or is it still going to be a road bike??

Is there an option of going oversized valves in these or is it just to the point of titanium valves and springs to try and get them to rev out quicker?
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
scooby601
Learner Driver

Post by scooby601 »

As its FI I want to keep the charging system on it, had I have gone carbs etc then it would have been total loss for sure!

Bigger valves aren't really an option and for this particular engine it will be stock valves, but hopefully valve springs will be found in time. Next engine I'm thinking of using some oversized Pistons as its in keeping with the bikes of the era and can be run in thundersport if I ever wanted too, then the valves will be done too.

I'm actually half tempted to get a day time MOT for it having seen Si's, we shall see.....
superfunkyfresh
Learner Driver
First Name: Dicky

Post by superfunkyfresh »

How you getting on with this mate? Sounds like one hell of a build.