Winter projects

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Winter projects

Postby billinom8s » Oct 11th, '17, 11:53

So then, the nights are drawing in, heating systems are being fired up and curtains pulled.........time to migrate to the garage/shed for some fettling.

Who's got a project lined up for the darker, on riding times ahead?

For me the superduke just needs a clean and lube and it's all good.

The zx10 is going to have a couple of bits altered, decals refitted and then laquered in place, changing the clipons and then fitting a quick action throttle. Other than that it's a good clean and lube up. Then i seem to have a few sets of forks lined up for servicing for other people on their projects.

So what plans have you got?

don't forget we are on twitter believe it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original i know)

Ta Daaaaa, it's a goldfish
billinom8s
Site Admin

Re: Winter projects

Postby Ducaki » Oct 11th, '17, 18:15

For me it will be first attempt at desmo valve adjustment and cambelts. Could be a long winter.
ST4
DRZ400e
Ducaki
Learner Driver

Postby Ruffian » Oct 11th, '17, 18:19

Got to get the msx sorted ready for next year''s commuting,
Fix and sort the muddy bike,
Finish the conversion on my zx10r,
Service and refit the track bike,

But then I can relax and enjoy the winter
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Ruffian
SWB Subscriber

Postby Jug_Inspector » Oct 11th, '17, 21:56

Gonna build a kind of tent at the back of my garage for my SuperDuke & V-Strom to sleep in, and put a 40 watt tube heater in there with them, to keep them warm and more importantly dry. :)):

Then drag my DRZ out and piss around with the carb to see if I can finally cure the partial throttle hesitation I get until it's fully up to temperature.
Then see if I can achieve more than 2 whole green lane rides this winter. :roll:
Jug_Inspector
Learner Driver

Postby awkwardbydesign » Oct 11th, '17, 22:39

New race pads and fluid for the SV ready for next year's trackdays. Replace worn down crashbung. Sort the fuelling on the Guzzi. Paint out the stupid garish lettering on the one piece leathers.
awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver

Postby bambam » Oct 12th, '17, 07:35

I will be painting many walls and ceilings.
bambam
SWB Subscriber

Postby ptolemyx » Oct 12th, '17, 07:37

Put the Dymag CS5 carbon wheels, Brembo radial master cylinder and full set of braided lines on the Busa.

After that the winter project begins; sort it's gearbox (lost 6th gear selection, means motor out :evil: ) and put the B-King back in road trim from drag race spec'.
That'll involve taking off the powershifter, launch control and automatic gear change electronics - putting lights, indicators and number plate back on - bringing the wheel as far forward as possible in the extended swingarm with new chain and sprockets - suspension reset for the road with forks back to normal height in yokes and dogbones to raise the rear from it's 4" lower stance- road tyres - brake fluid change and new pads - swingarm, suspension linkage and steering head bearings checked and regreased - and perhaps a respray..........

..........whilst doing all the household projects that Jane demands :roll:
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber

Postby Scotty » Oct 12th, '17, 14:29

Nothing too radical (or interesting) lined up, just servicing and deep cleaning both SuperDukes, and stripping the track bike back a bit to trace a small coolant leak, plus giving the WR250 a once-over before heading out to explore the byways in this part of the Badlands (not many of them unfortunately, might be reduced to speculatively riding various farm tracks until I get chased off). Also keeping an eye out for a low-seat off-roader such as a Serow or Pampera Mk.3 as Chicky wants to give it a try.
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
Scotty
Learner Driver

Postby The Muppet » Oct 12th, '17, 14:55

Scotty wrote:Nothing too radical (or interesting) lined up, just servicing and deep cleaning both SuperDukes, and stripping the track bike back a bit to trace a small coolant leak, plus giving the WR250 a once-over before heading out to explore the byways in this part of the Badlands (not many of them unfortunately, might be reduced to speculatively riding various farm tracks until I get chased off). Also keeping an eye out for a low-seat off-roader such as a Serow or Pampera Mk.3 as Chicky wants to give it a try.

Honda CRF230 with lowering Kit is a good off roader ,I am 5ft 2 and was a great light ride off road
The Muppet
SWB Subscriber

Postby graham22 » Oct 13th, '17, 10:01

The Muppet wrote:
Scotty wrote:Also keeping an eye out for a low-seat off-roader such as a Serow or Pampera Mk.3 as Chicky wants to give it a try.

Honda CRF230 with lowering Kit is a good off roader ,I am 5ft 2 and was a great light ride off road

+1 on the CRF, probably not best to lower them as they suffer with ground clearance as it is, footrests are on castings that catch things. The seat is narrower on these than Serrows so it helps, plus they are so light.

No projects for me, X7 finished and friend wants to buy it. May consider a decent Super Moto but might just appreciate a little more space in the garage this year plus competing in Trials all year round means there's always something that needs doing to the bike.

Perhaps I'll look to EBay lots of bike bits and magazines plus loads of Matchbox/Corgi/Dinky cars from my youth that are sat in the loft doing nothing.
KTM 990 Superduke
Suzuki GSX1300R
Honda XR400
graham22
Learner Driver

Return to Mechanical