Suspension sorted - hello new bike!

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Shooey
Learner Driver
First Name: Paul

Suspension sorted - hello new bike!

Post by Shooey »

A little over due but wanted say a big thank you to Simon (billinom8s)!

Was ‘advised’ by a lot of SWB members that getting your suspension sorted was the best “upgrade” pound for pound and probably the first thing to do. Being honest I was a little hesitant but the advice kept coming. Simon kept getting recommended.

Right. Setting the tone: Passed test Oct 2017, first and only bike CNR600RR, never riden before - no comparison to anything else!

Riding was slowly improving but issues cournering - lacking confidence!! Had it down as ‘just a learning curve’ - which obviously it will always be but ...

Saw Simon last week and over 2 hours were spent tweeking and adjusting front and rear pre-loads and fine tuning the suspension settings. We discovered that the bike was set up with different pre-loads on left and right - front suspension arms, there was massive lag between front and rear suspension at mid point - AND the bike was set up for a much lighter rider as the suspension was super soft!!

And now .... I have to say “it was like riding a new bike!!” The bike doesn’t dive under breaking before the corner, it feels so much more stable, the turning is so much more responsive - feels lighter and getting the lean on is so much sweeter! I’m not sure of any direct benefits from the rear, it feels like everything has improved front end. ???

I can’t believe I put this off for as long as I did!

Best £40 spent!!

Feel that my riding has improved 10 fold!
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Re: Suspension sorted - hello new bike!

Post by Smiler »

Ah ace one!!! Yep, I cant recommend it enough....people think its just for track day peeps or racers that twiddle with settings but can make the world of difference to any bike frankly.

Happy riding Shooey! :)):
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

So THAT'S why there's less threepenny-bitting around the bends eh? Let's see what Shawbury trackday brings :mrgreen:
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Got to say Si is fantastic on these set ups he did my bike and did a great job and is reasonably priced. It is so the right thing to do as a new rider to get a bike that is set up to give you confidence. A lot more fun doing corners rather then straight lines
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Jimbo04zx10r
Learner Driver
First Name: James

Post by Jimbo04zx10r »

Si, rebuild built my Ohlins with new springs and oil and the bike is so much better. A good set up make the bike effortless to ride.

However please remember this is not a one stop fix, fork oil should be replaced every 2 years and every year if on track. This will keep everything sweet.
Electronic's keeps the boys upright, the men keep it on the knee slider :)
Shooey
Learner Driver

Post by Shooey »

Smiler wrote: Jul 16th, '18, 18:07 Ah ace one!!! Yep, I cant recommend it enough....people think its just for track day peeps or racers that twiddle with settings but can make the world of difference to any bike frankly.

Thanks smiler!! So are you joining us the Magiacal mystery tour or what?? 🏍🏍
Shooey
Learner Driver

Post by Shooey »

Robbo87 wrote: Jul 16th, '18, 20:10 So THAT'S why there's less threepenny-bitting around the bends eh? Let's see what Shawbury trackday brings :mrgreen:
Three penny biting .... ??? Must be an old saying that one!

Go pro will be fully charged and we shall see you fading away ... this time!! Lol 😂 yeah right!! 🏍🏍🏁🏁🏁🔥🔥💯💯💯
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

Simon serviced the DRZ shock for llandow absolutely transformed the bike. I couldn't believe how much grip it had on bt45's. Top job :-bd
ST4
DRZ400e
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Post by Smiler »

Shooey wrote: Jul 17th, '18, 21:25
Smiler wrote: Jul 16th, '18, 18:07 Ah ace one!!! Yep, I cant recommend it enough....people think its just for track day peeps or racers that twiddle with settings but can make the world of difference to any bike frankly.

Thanks smiler!! So are you joining us the Magiacal mystery tour or what?? 🏍🏍
*shrugs* ….mayyyyybe :)
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

i think paul is excited
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Millsyboy
Learner Driver

Post by Millsyboy »

Yes thanks to Simon as well who serviced my front forks that were too stiff but better now. The Gen1 is known for crap rear, too soft and stiff front, so cornering the front feels light and not planted enough, so makes you hesitant to push too much. The rear not rebounding quickly enough, and more gas pushing rear down more, makes front light. So getting the rear to rebound quicker and I sorted the SAG settings it feels better, as best it can be anyway without spending dosh.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

You sorted the sag settings? :-?
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
layne
Learner Driver

Post by layne »

Shooey wrote: Jul 17th, '18, 21:28
Robbo87 wrote: Jul 16th, '18, 20:10 So THAT'S why there's less threepenny-bitting around the bends eh? Let's see what Shawbury trackday brings :mrgreen:
Three penny biting .... ??? Must be an old saying that one!

Go pro will be fully charged and we shall see you fading away ... this time!! Lol 😂 yeah right!! 🏍🏍🏁🏁🏁🔥🔥💯💯💯
Modern equivalent is double dipping
#152 Straights are for fast bikes. Corners are for fast riders
wildstar
Learner Driver
First Name: ian

Post by wildstar »

I had mine sorted by Jason at J P Motorworx as i said 2 up the missus didn't feel right at the back although it seved us well for 3 weeks over the IOM TT this year.First service and tweeked the suspension front and rear and yep it was like cornering on rails what a difference .Kawasaki Z 900 RS
Shooey
Learner Driver

Post by Shooey »

wildstar wrote: Jul 21st, '18, 07:13 I had mine sorted by Jason at J P Motorworx as i said 2 up the missus didn't feel right at the back although it seved us well for 3 weeks over the IOM TT this year.First service and tweeked the suspension front and rear and yep it was like cornering on rails what a difference .Kawasaki Z 900 RS
You certainly picked a good year to do the TT, I hear it was amazing! Conditions were the best ever!