never buy again lube again.....

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Jug_Inspector
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Re: never buy again lube again.....

Post by Jug_Inspector » Jun 24th, '20, 08:51

I still have a large tin of Silkolene chain wax, and the mrs has just picked up a scooter that has a none sealed chain so I can start using it again... :D

I once chucked the whole lot on my kitchen floor as I was using the cooker hob to heat it.
I spent the rest of that afternoon with a blunt knife scraping up chain wax from the floor - luckily the floor was those mega hard tiles that go down on the concrete.

royb
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Roy

Post by royb » Jun 25th, '20, 12:00

"Question for the older SWBs - can anyone remember the Linklife chain baths? Thank god we've moved on from those days...."

I still have some on the shelf but havn't used it lately and is only any use for the chains without seals.
Chains are so much better now.

royb
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Roy

Post by royb » Jun 25th, '20, 12:07

Dan_RR wrote:
Jun 23rd, '20, 23:08
royb wrote:
Jun 23rd, '20, 08:16
Have always lubricated my chains with used engine oil - seems to do the trick.
Haven't watched the video but be careful doing that lots of little small metal particles in used engine oil, if you can filter it somehow then probably not so bad but if not then it's not ideal...
I hear where you are coming from although the used oil I use, was good enough to be in my engine prior to the oil change and it has been filtered, so plenty good enough for my chain.

Blender81
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Ben

Post by Blender81 » Jun 29th, '20, 19:56

I use engine oil and a tooth brush (the other half's usually), gives it a good clean at the same time then. Come off pretty quick in torrential rain mind so on any multi day trip I take a can of spray
APRILIA RSV gen1....Bbrrrraaaaaaappppp