CBR600RR wouldn't start... then did.

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

VirtualMark
Learner Driver
First Name: Mark

CBR600RR wouldn't start... then did.

Post by VirtualMark »

Hey, I had a strange problem earlier. My 2006 CBR600RR is stored outside on the drive with a cover on. I was moving it and started it up, and put it in gear as it'd been stood for a few days and the brakes were sticking. I forgot that the kickstand was down and the bike cut out.

So I lifted the kickstand up, put it in neutral, turned the bike over and nothing. Checked the obvious, the kill switch, neutral, kickstand. I was there for a few minutes, eventually it started after I gave it a handful of throttle.

I did wonder if the recent bad weather had caused water to get where it shouldn't... but then surely the bike wouldn't have started in the first place? I like bikes to be reliable and just wondered if anyone had any idea why it wouldn't start back up after it cut out due to the kickstand?

Thanks.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: CBR600RR wouldn't start... then did.

Post by billinom8s »

water is more than likely the culprit, whenthe bike moved it could have just moved some around.

I wouldn't panic about the reliabilty, it's a Honda, they're pretty bulletproof.
If the clutch plates were also a bit stuck then the starter may have sensed the resistance and not allowed it to fire up.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

I have to say I am not the most mechanical minded, however this one sounds like a sensor or a switch that might need a re lubrication that perhaps was not moving freely. In particular the side stand switch can be a pig if it sticks as it will cut everything for safety reasons.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

menzies3032 wrote: Feb 18th, '20, 20:59 I have to say I am not the most mechanical minded, however this one sounds like a sensor or a switch that might need a re lubrication that perhaps was not moving freely. In particular the side stand switch can be a pig if it sticks as it will cut everything for safety reasons.
plus that switch is exposed even when under a cover, known for sticking in no matter what the bike.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
VirtualMark
Learner Driver

Post by VirtualMark »

Ah so kick stand switch sounds like the likely culprit then. I'll check it out, thanks for the pointers! I've managed to get the cover right to the bottom of the bike by fastening it under the wheel, hopefully it'll keep it a bit drier.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

VirtualMark wrote: Feb 21st, '20, 12:44 Ah so kick stand switch sounds like the likely culprit then. I'll check it out, thanks for the pointers! I've managed to get the cover right to the bottom of the bike by fastening it under the wheel, hopefully it'll keep it a bit drier.
Any joy did that sort it?
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
VirtualMark
Learner Driver

Post by VirtualMark »

menzies3032 wrote: Feb 25th, '20, 17:22
VirtualMark wrote: Feb 21st, '20, 12:44 Ah so kick stand switch sounds like the likely culprit then. I'll check it out, thanks for the pointers! I've managed to get the cover right to the bottom of the bike by fastening it under the wheel, hopefully it'll keep it a bit drier.
Any joy did that sort it?
TBH it hasn't done it again... and I haven't had a chance to work on it as I'm on a driveway and the weather has been rubbish lately. I'll post an update if I find anything, or might just leave it if it doesn't happen again.
Claud 14.7 to 1
Learner Driver

Post by Claud 14.7 to 1 »

Yep, I agree with the others (what first came to my mind also). I'd guess first look at the side stand switch. Maybe after a few kick ups and down of the side stand and it's freed up the switch somewhat and it's making a more reliable engagement/disengagement now. Nice bike by the way :)