engine carbon cleaning

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

engine carbon cleaning

Post by billinom8s »

Has anybody heard of this or had it done?

I've been reading up on it and the reviews online are good, the videos on YouTube make sense and it would seem that with the new machines they clear out pretty much all of the carbon within the engine.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Re: engine carbon cleaning

Post by Ruffian »

Yes heard about it.
Does it work,

Depends on the condition of the original engine.
We had a demo at my old work and ran it on my car. .
Couldn't tell no difference and would I do it again.

Unless having issues with sticky valves or down on compression no.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

billinom8s wrote: Jun 8th, '20, 07:58 I've been reading up on it and the reviews online are good, the videos on YouTube make sense and it would seem that with the new machines they clear out pretty much all of the carbon within the engine.
Have you a link to which system you're looking at?
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

KTM 990 superduke R,
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

IMHO it's mostly snake oil.

Yes, I believe it might burn off some carbon in the engine but the amount it removes will be marginal. Carbon is being removed all the time in normal use anyway so the net amount in there becomes stable once equilibrium is achieved (about 20k miles)... and in the cylinder is not where the carbon causes a problem anyway.

Carbon on inlet valves is an issue for direct injection petrol engines, carbon on variable turbo vanes can be an issue. Carbon paste in the inlet of most diesel engines with an EGR system is a real issue... all of which are not going to be cleaning with this system.

Actually after watching a video of them doing the "treatment" I can't even see how adding a little HHO in with the fuel whilst the engine is idle'd or being rev'd slightly for 30 mins is going to do anything at all.

Some engines might have excess carbon build up due other issues, and those issues need resolving... but this carbon cleaning kit/method is just another money scam, like all the additives that car shops sell.

That's not to say that HHO fumigation won't clean your engine, I think it might, but it'd need to be used under heavy load and for a lot longer than 30 mins. Water injection is also very good at cleaning engines and there are proper systems out there that can do it safely.
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

there is a local company offering it up for bikes now.
KTM 990 superduke R,
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Think this sounds interesting. As much as I would be interested for future bikes to make sure they are running well my wife drives a diesel Vauxhall as the school run bus and does lots of short drives so we have an ongoing issue with the DPF filter. If it could help this then would be very interesting.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
MikeZ
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Mike

Post by MikeZ »

But surely with a modern ish bike engine it's a bit of a waste of time. When i stripped my xs1100 engine (at about 80k miles) to check small and main bearing play (back in the 90s) there was very little carbon. Mordern fuels, oil, and engines run cleaner now. If you're concerned just endoscope the cylinders and have a look.
Dan_RR
Learner Driver
First Name: Dan

Post by Dan_RR »

Jug_Inspector wrote: Jun 8th, '20, 11:28 IMHO it's mostly snake oil.

Yes, I believe it might burn off some carbon in the engine but the amount it removes will be marginal. Carbon is being removed all the time in normal use anyway so the net amount in there becomes stable once equilibrium is achieved (about 20k miles)... and in the cylinder is not where the carbon causes a problem anyway.

Carbon on inlet valves is an issue for direct injection petrol engines, carbon on variable turbo vanes can be an issue. Carbon paste in the inlet of most diesel engines with an EGR system is a real issue... all of which are not going to be cleaning with this system.

Actually after watching a video of them doing the "treatment" I can't even see how adding a little HHO in with the fuel whilst the engine is idle'd or being rev'd slightly for 30 mins is going to do anything at all.

Some engines might have excess carbon build up due other issues, and those issues need resolving... but this carbon cleaning kit/method is just another money scam, like all the additives that car shops sell.

That's not to say that HHO fumigation won't clean your engine, I think it might, but it'd need to be used under heavy load and for a lot longer than 30 mins. Water injection is also very good at cleaning engines and there are proper systems out there that can do it safely.

Already spoke to Si about this over whatsapp but basically being in the motor trade myself Jug_Inspector is 100% right, hydrogen on it's own with a engine at idle revved a few times is not going to de-coke an engine the same way as stripping and cleaning the affected parts manually. It's a big diesel thing mainly with modern cars having EGR's and dpf's etc that then block up intakes/turbo's and the dpf itself. The only cleaning that properly fixes these problems is removal, cleaning and re-fitting.

Why do you want to get involved with them as such Si? No petrol indirect fuel injection engine will gain anything from it which is 99% of motorbikes! IMO obviously.
Link to all my drifting shenanigans, motorbike track days and a few 'how to's....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfKNYG ... REP05rR1bA
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Better running something like forte moto1 and moto2 cleaners through the injection system.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Dan_RR wrote: Jun 9th, '20, 23:04

Why do you want to get involved with them as such Si? No petrol indirect fuel injection engine will gain anything from it which is 99% of motorbikes! IMO obviously.

They started to follow us on instagram. The idea looked interesting and if it could of been beneficial to the members on the forum then it would be have been a win win.
We get a 50% discount on the price of the job and also get bikes with cleaner system internals.
Not all bikes are run on a regular basis, have fuel injection or age blasted for a hundred miles at a time to clean them through.
I was trying to take in the wider usage rider rather than just the out for a blast one.

There was nothing more than that.
KTM 990 superduke R,
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

Motorcycles don't generally do the kind of mileage that could create a carbon problem, or have the exhaust side components that would be effected anyway.
Our problems are/will be fuel related or electrical, especially when the ethanol percentage in fuel increases to 10%. Lots of older bikes will suffer with jets gumming up when stored unless certain additives are used in the fuel.

But anyway... those guys selling the carbon cleaning service (and the ones selling the equipment, the HHO ones) should be ashamed of themselves really. They must know it's doing nothing and the whole performance is just selling a placebo effect.