never buy again lube again.....

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

never buy again lube again.....

Post by billinom8s »

don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Streetmann
Learner Driver
First Name: Craig

Re: never buy again lube again.....

Post by Streetmann »

Interesting watch
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Yep, knew that most o-ring chains are recommended to be lubed with a gear oil ....... Though I use a (Wurth) dry PTFE lube which doesn't seem to get dirty or fling :-?
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

I use engine oil as gear oil stinks the garage out.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

I've always used sprays and always despaired at the amount that builds up behind the front sprocket cover. I've a "LoobMan" oiler winging it's way to me and will report on it once fitted to the Busabarge.
http://www.loobman.co.uk/
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Streetmann
Learner Driver
First Name: Craig

Post by Streetmann »

Testing inconclusive. Rubber drive wheel on a oily link, poor frictional quality, fling test , small diameter of chain, possible speed issue, drill would outstrip ft per second speed of most chains.
Grit test no account of vortex airflow inside of the wheel rim.
Overall a poor test regime.
Only factual accuracy, paint on lube waistes less than spray
on.best lube is constant delivery, Scott oiler, if set up properly, and adjusted flow in different weather conditions. Followed by correct chain adjustment being maintained and wheel alignment.
Well tempered sprockets help too no hook, low friction.
Zzr has 24500 miles on it. Original chain and sprockets still in great shape Rs changed out at 29000 miles. Both on Scott Oilers.

So I shared this with my fathers mate hes a marine engineer and owns GEMS services in teignmouth awell established garage and this was his reply to the video just thought I'd share someone else's idea on it
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

ptolemyx wrote: Jun 23rd, '20, 05:18 I've always used sprays and always despaired at the amount that builds up behind the front sprocket cover. I've a "LoobMan" oiler winging it's way to me and will report on it once fitted to the Busabarge.
http://www.loobman.co.uk/
When you switch over to using oil instead of grease spray it's a good idea to remove all the guards and give them a good scrap out & clean, but it sounds like you're on top of that anyway.
It's one of the first jobs I do on any "new to me" bikes I buy. The oil will act as a solvent to that crud and will wash out all the trapped grit, which could then drop back at your chain & sprockets.

I then make my own version of a Lubeman as I can then design it around the bike so that it is mostly hidden apart from the primer bulb, which pumps a little oil into the delivery tube which is then gravity fed down to chain more slowly. The oil tank goes under the seat and the oil lines run behind frame sections. Oil is fed down to the chain at front sprocket as I don't like to see the hose running along the swing arm to the rear sprocket.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
royb
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Roy

Post by royb »

Have always lubricated my chains with used engine oil - seems to do the trick.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

This is really interesting as I have always gone for Muck Off and got to say never been that impressed with it. As much as I want to make sure that the chain is coated i try not to spray to much but every time i go for the first ride the rear wheel and the back of the bike get totally splattered. Also tent to find so much crap sticking to the chain i have to clean and respray time after time. Find it really interesting that you could look to use normal engine oil as have a lot of synthetic hi performance oil sitting about in the garage so will be using that next time road and from now on. Result.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Dan_RR
Learner Driver
First Name: Dan

Post by Dan_RR »

royb wrote: Jun 23rd, '20, 08:16 Have always lubricated my chains with used engine oil - seems to do the trick.
Haven't watched the video but be careful doing that lots of little small metal particles in used engine oil, if you can filter it somehow then probably not so bad but if not then it's not ideal...
Link to all my drifting shenanigans, motorbike track days and a few 'how to's....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfKNYG ... REP05rR1bA
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

Dan_RR wrote: Jun 23rd, '20, 23:08 Haven't watched the video but be careful doing that lots of little small metal particles in used engine oil, if you can filter it somehow then probably not so bad but if not then it's not ideal...
Dan assuming the new engine oil would be ok though
Dan_RR
Learner Driver
First Name: Dan

Post by Dan_RR »

menzies3032 wrote: Jun 23rd, '20, 23:38
Dan_RR wrote: Jun 23rd, '20, 23:08 Haven't watched the video but be careful doing that lots of little small metal particles in used engine oil, if you can filter it somehow then probably not so bad but if not then it's not ideal...
Dan assuming the new engine oil would be ok though
Oh ye fresh or un-used engine/gear oil i'm sure would be fine. With grease or oil I think the trick is to use it sparingly but more often rather than soak the thing so its dripping then leave it for 6 months if you know what I mean.
Link to all my drifting shenanigans, motorbike track days and a few 'how to's....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfKNYG ... REP05rR1bA
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

Makes sense like normal redo the chain when ever i wash the bike as its such and easy job to do if you do it regularly
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

The idea of the LoobMan oiler is you use it once to dispense a little oil towards the end of each ride.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

I've used Würth dry lube in the past - true, there was no flinging off over the rear wheel, because there was nothing there! Potentially the chain was nearing the end of its life but wear of chain and sprockets appeared to be accelerated when using the dry lube, chain adjustment became a weekly chore.
Since that episode I've returned to using the best lube that I've encountered in 42 years of riding - PJ1 blue (as opposed to the black by the same company). It's very tenacious and fling is minimal. The trick is to avoid over-application, use as much - or little - as you need, best applied after a ride when the chain is warm and it has time to dry before the next usage. If you lube the chain before riding, expect a lot of cleaning. Regular engine or gear oils alone have no anti-fling agents and they won't be on your chain for long.
Auto-oilers (Scot etc.) are probably the best way to prolong chain life, take care setting the delivery rate.

Question for the older SWBs - can anyone remember the Linklife chain baths? Thank god we've moved on from those days....
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever