Oil Leak

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Oil Leak

Post by Mr Tuscan »

Found a drip of oil beneath my bike around the area at the rear of the gearbox beginning of driveshaft and the big gaiter is wet.
I’ve taken a video and picture.
Am I to assume this is to do with a driveshaft seal? Garage job or home DIY, btw I’ve never removed a bike rear wheel before.

I have recently made an oil change, it’s a little high so going to release a bit today and clean up and see if it returns after a run

Photo
3DAE3962-4F97-4547-A9E6-F2FC5A6661BA.jpeg
Video
https://youtu.be/AnP9J0JwIe4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Use your awareness of others lack of ability to focus your own!

billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Oil Leak

Post by billinom8s »

may just be that the gater has come loose or has a split in it.

so long as the bike is off the ground and supported it's not a big job.pop the wheel out, four or so bolts at the g/b end and slide it off. take pics for ref as you do each stage and it'll go back together easy.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

I couldn't work it out from the picture as it's too close in but the video helped.

I would say the rubber thing is just dust cover (boot), if you pull that back you should see a proper oil seal around the shaft and that is what might be leaking.

Had a quick search and found this forum thread covering it.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/threads/oil-leak.116946/
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
MikeZ
Learner Driver
First Name: Mike

Post by MikeZ »

Unless they've changed the design since the old xs1100 days, the main oil is separate to the middle gearbox oil. Used to have a separate white dipstick for the middle gearbox oil level. But if the seal is gone based on what we've seen you've done previously and your background, you'll have no problem sorting it. FYI my xs did 135k (hard miles) and never had an issue with the middle box. But i would clean all round and spray with talcum powder then you will see exactly where it's coming from.
Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver

Post by Mr Tuscan »

Jug_Inspector wrote: Jun 23rd, '20, 12:27 I couldn't work it out from the picture as it's too close in but the video helped.

I would say the rubber thing is just dust cover (boot), if you pull that back you should see a proper oil seal around the shaft and that is what might be leaking.

Had a quick search and found this forum thread covering it.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/threads/oil-leak.116946/

Had a good read of that, so guess it’s a case of being 100% it’s coming from a seal on the back of the gearbox first, so major clean of any oil I can find and as you say try a talc powder and pinpoint, its a hard area to see, oil was sitting in that rubber bung, it covers the shaft point into tho the gearbox, but the oil could be from above, so I’ll get it pinpointed.

I’ll drop some oil as it’s a little high and then a clean up and I’ll go for a run.

Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver

Post by Mr Tuscan »

MikeZ wrote: Jun 23rd, '20, 12:35 Unless they've changed the design since the old xs1100 days, the main oil is separate to the middle gearbox oil. Used to have a separate white dipstick for the middle gearbox oil level. But if the seal is gone based on what we've seen you've done previously and your background, you'll have no problem sorting it. FYI my xs did 135k (hard miles) and never had an issue with the middle box. But i would clean all round and spray with talcum powder then you will see exactly where it's coming from.
I was under the impression gearbox oil is the same from the engine, its bloody new in colour so again making me think its one and the same.

Ive no experience of rear wheel removal, I was under the impression it had to be set up correctly upon putting it back due to wheel wobble, just looks a bit daunting.

The final factor on that will most likely be I don’t have a bike lift.

MikeZ
Learner Driver
First Name: Mike

Post by MikeZ »

Mr Tuscan wrote: Jun 23rd, '20, 18:25
I was under the impression gearbox oil is the same from the engine, its bloody new in colour so again making me think its one and the same.

The final factor on that will most likely be I don’t have a bike lift.
You could well be right, your setup could easily be different to the older shaft Yam's. Seriously probably good idea to get a manual it will have all the instructions you need. Except where machining is required you're perfectly capable of doing anything that needs to be done to your bike.
Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver

Post by Mr Tuscan »

So cleaned everything up and made sure the oil was at the correct level and went out for a run last night.

Checked this morning and the rubber boot is wet again, looked closer and the output seal from the differential if you like for lack of terminology is wet at the bottom, so pretty sure that’s my issue and I guess it needs doing, being a bike I don’t want it blowing and showering the rear tyre in oil!

Ive managed to track down some pictures of a competent guy who did this job, ffs ill be sending it to the garage then, the swing arm has to come off and I really don’t want the stress tbh, fair old learning curve needed for that.
949317E7-5C40-4EC0-B3EF-D0E33E47ADDE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

I think that's an extreme method of doing it.
The seal should be removable without all of that
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.