(Dumb question) - Should you rotate your forks?

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

(Dumb question) - Should you rotate your forks?

Post by Jug »

I've often pondered this...

Would it be beneficial to periodically rotate your forks in the stations, say 90 deg every few thousand miles?
I'm thinking it might help to spread the wear around the bushing faces rather than it just being predominately all in one place.

Go on then... let rip at me.. :)):
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Re: (Dumb question) - Should you rotate your forks?

Post by Ruffian »

Never truly thought about this until now.

Yes the bushings and coatings wear and then cause loose spots, so rotating them would equalise the wear all the way around.
But the issue is you almost need to release the tension off the forks to rotate otherwise could twist the springs internally. Also if you rotate the forks it could actually cause issues in the fork seals.

Honestly I just couldn't be arsed with it, even if it was benificial. Just change the bike more often..
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Ruffian wrote: Dec 4th, '20, 17:29 Honestly I just couldn't be arsed with it, even if it was benificial. Just change the bike more often..
lol - I tend to hold on to my bikes longer.
Ruffian wrote: Dec 4th, '20, 17:29 But the issue is you almost need to release the tension off the forks to rotate otherwise could twist the springs internally.
Good point.. although I guess they would slip eventually in use to release any additional tension.
*Edit - thinking about this I don't think that happens as when the front is up (and the wheel is out) I often twist the fork leg but it never self straightens so the spring must be slipping.
Ruffian wrote: Dec 4th, '20, 17:29 Also if you rotate the forks it could actually cause issues in the fork seals.
I guess but whenever I have changed wheels I haven't worried about keeping each fork leg straight, in fact they often twist when trying to re-inset the disks into the calipers, and I have often twisted them 180 deg to give the insides a really good clean.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Streetmann
Learner Driver
First Name: Craig

Post by Streetmann »

The theory seems reasonable, but only if the forks and seals were in fantastic condition other wise you could cause damage else were. I cant see how the springs would wind up tho there not fixed either end,if never intentionally twisted them just the same as jug inspector when taking wheel brakes ect done many of fork seals in my time seems every bike I purchase they need doing and I dont take note on wich was facing wich way
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

the only way to do it to avoid the tiny bit of wear you may have imagined you have you be this.
front end up off the ground
measure distance from fork top to yoke, make a note of it
release top yoke around the top of the fork
undo forktop bolt and undo until free
undo lower yoke bolts to release full grip on fork body
rotate fork body
slide fork body back up to the required top yoke clearance
bolt lower yoke up
tighten fork top bolt
tighten top yoke fork clamp

obviously if you're having clipons you have to undo them too.

the spring itseslf will only rotate a little bit if you do it with the fork top bolt in place, it will rotate fine along the damping rod.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
MikeZ
Learner Driver
First Name: Mike

Post by MikeZ »

I usually keep my bikes for years/miles, never thought about rotating. Nice idea, but apart from one, which had a bush wear issue the seals last a long time and i think tend to age rather than wear on road bikes. . . . Good thought though.
royb
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Roy

Post by royb »

Never thought of it but seems a reasonable idea so I'm up for it on the next service.
Let me see: I've done 45,000 miles so 4 turns of 90 degrees equals quite a lot of miles. I'll let you know should I achieve 180,000 miles on those forks stanchion, and I'm still around.