Fao ruffian

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

julesh
Learner Driver
First Name: julian

Fao ruffian

Post by julesh »

IMG_20210405_134631.jpg
Been and gone and made a mess of my subframe by overtightening a nutsert, as far as I'm aware it's magnesium (2014 R6) what's my best option here please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Re: Fao ruffian

Post by Ruffian »

Chances are it's a magnesium alloy in cast.
Got a chance at welding it up, or if its past a structural point then it wont really matter.

The other thing would be to clamp it tight and put a brace alongside it drilled and bolted alongside.

Options are there and depends on where it is on the subframe etc. Wider pictures could help.

Or the other option of a second hand subframe.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Dan_RR
Learner Driver
First Name: Dan

Post by Dan_RR »

If the plastic rear fairing covers it up then you could just use a smaller nut and bolt with a couple of washers as I'm guessing the insert is spinning now? Obviously that's if Ruffian doesn't sort you out with the old glue gun :)):
Link to all my drifting shenanigans, motorbike track days and a few 'how to's....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfKNYG ... REP05rR1bA
julesh
Learner Driver

Post by julesh »

the nutsert is in TIGHT, I was hoping to drill it out,weld or repair the crack,then reinsert a new nutsert, "gently" the sert is for my seat unit so it'll come under a lot of movement from me shifting around in the seat
julesh
Learner Driver

Post by julesh »

ill post up some better pics as soon as i can, at the moment this website wont allow me ????
julesh
Learner Driver

Post by julesh »

http://www.trackdayriders.co.uk/tdr/for ... 75848.html

Haven't been able to upload anything on here for two days 🤔🤔 link for you Ruffian with a wider view
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and should have used an alloy nutsert.

Personally as I have the gear I would pull the subframe. Clean it up and well the crack and the nutsert area to thicken that mount then just drill and tap the fresh alloy weld.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"