this is why you don't buy cheap bearings

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: this is why you don't buy cheap bearings

Post by billinom8s »

It's all good, bearing in, internal spacer in, other bearing in, all pressed in and aligned, oil seals in, external spacers in place, back in Bike and nipped up.

No toque figures as of yet though.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

"Bearing failure"

Usually for a external reason.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
MikeZ
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Mike

Post by MikeZ »

10mm difference is way too much, something in the 'stack' had deformed. Once 'nipped' up then the correct tightening would give a stack difference of less than 1mm. I would suggest overtightening, causing deformation and subsequent failure. I would not blame the bearing quality in this case.
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

Unfortunately a lot of car mechanics do not realise the difference between motorcycle torque settings and car settings are two totally different things. Ream it up with the gun is 'usually' fine on cars (larger/ courser thread sizes etc) but not on bikes.
My mate who restores and repairs classic cars usually calls me in for help when he gets the odd bike brought in as he readily admits he's not sure about bikes and their 'whimsies'...:))
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
Jay
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jay

Post by Jay »

badgerKDD wrote: Jul 3rd, '21, 18:41 Unfortunately a lot of car mechanics do not realise the difference between motorcycle torque settings and car settings are two totally different things. Ream it up with the gun is 'usually' fine on cars (larger/ courser thread sizes etc) but not on bikes.
My mate who restores and repairs classic cars usually calls me in for help when he gets the odd bike brought in as he readily admits he's not sure about bikes and their 'whimsies'...:))
Very true.... i can remember my mate had a new front tyre put on his R1 and they used an Air gun on his pinch bolts on the bottom of his forks.... yes they crack the bottom of the fork leg..... an expensive lesson for said garage.
2020 CBR1000RR-R
2008 FJR 1300A