Fork Seals

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Funky
Learner Driver
First Name: Aaron

Fork Seals

Post by Funky »

I just noticed that I have a weeping fork seal on the bottom left of my R1. Does anybody have any experience in changes fork seals? How hard is it and would I need special tools?
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Fork Seals

Post by billinom8s »

Little
Very
Yes
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Funky
Learner Driver

Post by Funky »

Bollocks.
DynaMight
Learner Driver

Post by DynaMight »

Before you look at changing the seals, check the chrome and make sure theres no rust/corrosion. That can break a seal, but it'll just go again.
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

first try cutting piece of plastic milk carton like this (no need to buy the thing ) and run around seal it is worth a shot i reckon

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seal-Mate-Too ... 1059312192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

I made myself a USD fork compressor and seal driver, with those two tools changing the seals is an afternoon job, without them its a really horrible and virtually impossible job, its the releasing the cartridge on the top of the forks that's the tricky bit without the right tools. You can buy the tools you need online, but tbh by the time you've spent that much money and time waiting for the tools to arrive, its just easier to take the forks to your local bike mechanic and get him to do it.

Homemade fork compressor:

Releasing the cartridge:

Everything taken out and on the bench:

The seal driver in action:

If you can get them from Cornwall to Exeter and back you are more than welcome to borrow them, is Moose down our way anytime soon?
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
Funky
Learner Driver

Post by Funky »

I trhink I'll give the seal mate idea a go, if it doesn't work I'll have to take the forks out and get them sorted.

Cheers guys.

I would love to take you up the offer Badger, but I don't have a nice work top like you do.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Ease the dust seal down and give it a really good clean in behind. Also give the inside of the dust seal a good clean. Once done and back together monitor if a few days and see if its still a problem. Sometimes moisture gets stuck in there with dirt and gives the impression of a leaking seal.

If that don't work, tbh if you're not sure what you're doing its just as easy to drop the legs out and take them to someone. At least doing that you save yourself the lions share of the labour cost.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

Funky wrote:I trhink I'll give the seal mate idea a go, if it doesn't work I'll have to take the forks out and get them sorted.

Cheers guys.

I would love to take you up the offer Badger, but I don't have a nice work top like you do.
Having a good engineers vice at work is a god send tbh! My shed vice was too small last time I did my seals so I packed up the car with my forks and tools and did it at work. Luckily they trust me with the keys ;) !
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .