ktm 620 ..?

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

daymo69er
Learner Driver

ktm 620 ..?

Post by daymo69er »

guys! i wasnt quite sure where to post this but i thought mechanical would be the best place.!

i have a 1996 ktm 620......

but im finding it hard to keep it at a certain speed...its seems to be all go or nothing....not inbetween so when in slow moving traffic its a complete night mare!!!

just any suggestions what it could be? i was possibly thinking it could be the chain and sprocket? as the chain may be to stretched in one part? ,

what do you guys think! as youve solved so many of my problems in the past! and even got me in contact of people local whos able to look so any help will be much appreciated!

damo
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Re: ktm 620 ..?

Post by badgerKDD »

Hello Daymo :D ! Good to see you back on two wheels again :-bd !

When you say its hard to keep it at a certain speed, is it only at low speeds, do the revs rise or are they constant? It could be stretched cables, clutch slip? a bit more info might help make more sense of the problem ;) .
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
daymo69er
Learner Driver

Post by daymo69er »

hi again mate i took it to my local garage and he said thats how they ride as there a long stroke or something , said it was a very clean bike for its hear but could do with a service and some new rubber seals as theyve perished!

but just seems really weird to be but then again its my first big engined single cylinder! , sorry late reply been a tad busy! ,

when i mean if i was plotting along at around 30 mph it just wants to go and feels lumpy but i noticed if i keep it in a lower gear and higher revs it rides alot nicely in traffic just sounds like a tank lol!
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Have to develop different styles of riding for different bikes I guess.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Kata
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Post by Kata »

daymo69er wrote:hi again mate i took it to my local garage and he said thats how they ride as there a long stroke or something , said it was a very clean bike for its hear but could do with a service and some new rubber seals as theyve perished!

but just seems really weird to be but then again its my first big engined single cylinder! , sorry late reply been a tad busy! ,

when i mean if i was plotting along at around 30 mph it just wants to go and feels lumpy but i noticed if i keep it in a lower gear and higher revs it rides alot nicely in traffic just sounds like a tank lol!

I would have thought that being a big single you wouldn't want to use top gear doing 30. The revs are too intermittent on a single.

Best solution is to get out of town and then give it some welly! :-)