GSXR750 SRAD engine build

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

scooby601
Learner Driver

GSXR750 SRAD engine build

Post by scooby601 »

So I’ve finally got around to pulling my old motor out from under the workbench to complete the EFI conversion I had planned a few years back. All of the parts I needed were found, then a decent motor came up so I parked this.

We’ve got to a good point with the current motor having fitted a large volume air tray that uses the bottom of the tank as the lid. Different air tubes to help get the air in as quickly as possible also help out. Most recently I’ve tried 3 different configurations of velocity stacks, these should come into play more with a worked motor!

So the plan with this motor is to convert it and tweak a few bits while I’m at it……..

Going for a mild tune.
• High lift cams, degreed in
• Skimmed head and barrels to get the compression up a bit
• Hopefully Ti bits into the valve area…..
• Machine work to some of the casings to help with spin up & overall weight
• Slight port + polish (intake is pretty much perfect, so just a clean and tidy there)
• Replace any worn out/out of spec parts at the same time

I’m hoping to show the tear down, work, rebuild and the final dyno tuning on here, for anyone interested.

This engine was dyno’d at 110bhp, with stock exhaust, K&N filter and different jets in the carbs. The efi engine in the bike now, completely stock innards (3 valve shims changed to bring back into spec), put out 128bhp after a full map. This is with a full stainless system, air tray/tubes and PC3.

Throwing it out there now, my aim is 136bhp upwards

Rather dirty, in need of a good clean on the outside for sure! There is anodised gold on there and there will be more once I'm done :lol:

A few bolts later and pistons are hanging out the top of the engine, intentionally though……

You can see a round indentation on the back of the cam chain guide, from the tensioner, meaning the guide will need replacing because this is a weak spot now.

Bores are in really good shape with no marks at all, the slight tide marks will clean off in the paraffin bath no worries.

The head looks to be in really good shape, but this wont be going back on the engine after being used for the dry build as I’ve got an FI one to use. These have different inlets stubs that can be flowed into the head. Once all of the work is done to it there will be new stem seals to go in and valves to be lapped in. 2nd picture is the new head and the inlet ports, key for these will be not removing too much material.

1st eBay bargain found is a new flywheel. The later model (well 2001 is later for this engine, LOL) flywheels where a mod used by 1 of Crescents engine builders as they reduce weight, meaning the engine will spin up quicker. There are 2 different flywheels for the SRAD, 1 for carb’d motors and 1 for efi. Carb’d weighs 1133g, efi weighs 1067g and the K1 1000 version is only 774g, saving 359g over the 1 that’s come off. Result! We can compare the dyno graphs to see if there is any measurable difference in time to spin up, but so many other factors can affect that it may be worthless looking at it.

Clutch will be coming out as ive got a Factory Pro shift spring, never had any problems but while im taking shit apart may as well do it!

Pistons have also come off, remembered to mark them so they go back in the same place! Bit of a clean up and check the rings are still in spec will be all that happens to them, unless eBay turns up a billet set before I’m at that point….

The barrels have had their bottoms machined, this was something the works engines of the era had done and later engines have similar recesses to aid the air flow. Have left plenty of meat so there is no danger of the compromising the water jacket. Possibly will be boring out the crank case breather to help the air flow even more, these engines do like to build pressure.

New head just needs stripping then it will go away with the valves for ultrasonic cleaning and bead blasting the heads to make as good as new. Then I can get busy with the sanding drums……….

Once that’s been sent away, and the pistons have been cleaned up, I’ll be dry building it back up with the old gaskets and head to measure how much I can skim off the barrels. If the top of the barrels are perfectly flat and level the bottom will be skimmed to remove the risk of chipping the nikasil lining of the barrels. To measure how much can safely be removed I’ll put a ring of solder around the piston when assembling the engine, turn over the engine until there is little to no resistance from the solder being compressed then measure at 4 points and take the average reading.

Progress may be slow on this, but my aim is to have it in and running by the summer for a few late season days as I did last year.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: GSXR750 SRAD engine build

Post by billinom8s »

That's a hell off a job going on there. Looks like you are j pro.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

Good on you Scooby, I'll be enjoying this thread then ;) !
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
scooby601
Learner Driver

Post by scooby601 »

Call me a 'pro' if the contents of the engine don't end up over the dyno........that always goes down well :-\

Pistons being cleaned, these boxes really are really useful.........

Been in the paraffin for about 3 hours and the worst is gone, will leave overnight and attack with a brass brush to make mint.

If the rings measure up fine then they will go back in, the groves were spotless so I reckon they will be well within spec.

billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

where's the 'afters' photo?
KTM 990 superduke R,
scooby601
Learner Driver

Post by scooby601 »

Still in the future, tomorrow I should have time to finish them I hope.
scooby601
Learner Driver

Post by scooby601 »

And.....done!! Still a little dark in the corners of the valve pockets, but as they have a rough finish I'm happy with how they've come out.

billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Wow, that's quite a bit different.

Top job
KTM 990 superduke R,
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Interesting shape to the valve pockets in the pistons :8o)): I guess there's not much chance of fitting bigger valves in there!
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

TLS-Moose wrote:Interesting shape to the valve pockets in the pistons :8o)): I guess there's not much chance of fitting bigger valves in there!
said the actress to the bishop =))
KTM 990 superduke R,
scooby601
Learner Driver

Post by scooby601 »

Dropped the head off to be cleaned and have the valves shot blasted. Everything's been kept in order and will go back where it came from! The head has been fully stripped including valve guide seals etc....

Bigger valves are a no go with these pistons, but if I ever got for oversized ones it will be an option for sure. What we can do if needed is machine the pockets a little deeper if I need to get a bit more valve clearance once barrels and head are skimmed. But to measure that we need to make a tool from the kit manual to press the valve buckets down with the cams installed.

Cams should be ready to pick up this week, the sensor required a piece pressing into the end and that needs to be secured as we had 1 break the weld a few weeks back. Luckily this time no damage (2014 at Brands the same happened and ruined a Yoshimura head) but as the sensor wasn't seeing the pin the bike wouldn't fire. Its getting a belt and braces fix now!!!

badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

nice pics, any more to tell yet?
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
scooby601
Learner Driver

Post by scooby601 »

Alas progress has been interrupted by finding a leak at the mother in laws that caused the kitchen floor to pretty much collapse. Followed by possibly the most demoralising weekend at Brands Hatch, result being I've only just been bothered to get this out of the van!!

REALLY happy with how they've come out, the little bit of carbon in the ports will come out when they are polished so a right result there. Got a VERY full on couple of weeks before the Easter weekend at Donington but hopefully can have the mock up done and barrels away to be skimmed by then.
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Pretty
KTM 990 superduke R,
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Looks good, can't wait to see the finished product!!
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"