What do you do with a flat tyre?

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Stgeorge
Learner Driver
First Name: Rich

What do you do with a flat tyre?

Post by Stgeorge »

I know it's a stupid question!

I have a 1979 Suzuki A100 and when I went to ride it yesterday I found I've got a flat. It was fine at the weekend so I reckon I must have picked up a puncture then.

When this has happened before I've walked the bike a mile down the road to my local bike mechanic but he's on a fortnights holiday. The only other bike mechanic I know is 8 miles away so I can't get the bike to him. Places like National Tyres don't do motorbikes. The bike is my main mode of transport - without it I'm stuck on a pedal-cycle. :(

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Rick.

(I'm in Tiverton, by the way.)
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Re: What do you do with a flat tyre?

Post by Jug »

If it happens when I'm on my Vstrom I have a full repair kit under the seat. I'd just plug it and re-inflate with the mini compressor.
If it happened whilst I was out on my SD I'd call AutoAID breakdown, then repair the tyre with the kit once back at home, or have it professionally repaired or replaced.

In your situation I'd either repair it with a plug or fit an inner tube, maybe it already has tubes?
If so I'd get the tools, learn to remove the tyre, patch it and ride on.
That's what I did for my trail bike (spoked wheels, tubes and MX/Enduro tyres). Was a PITA having to use tyre places all the time and it really isn't that hard once you figure out the technique, and get a good set of levers.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Re: What do you do with a flat tyre?

Post by Ducaki »

Suziki a100 will be on inner tubes. Please don't try plugs as it would be a right old mess. I'd say you want a puncture repair kit, tyre levers and a pump.
Plenty of good how too videos on YouTube or I'm sure someone could show you how.
ST4
DRZ400e