Help needed 'Stuttering' Daytona 675 **FIXED**

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Cuckoo
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Re: Help needed 'Stuttering' Daytona 675 **FIXED**

Post by Cuckoo »

I've finally fixed the problem so I thought I'd post it just in case anyone stumbles across the post with the same problem.

IT WAS THE O2 SENSOR

When I first bought the bike it had a power commander fitted, at the time I didn't know too much about them so removed it. While trying loads of different fixes to no avail I decided to re-fit the commander just to see. Anyway it solved the problem so I deduced it was the o2 sensor as they usually need to be turned off when fitting a power commander. The previous owner had left it in thus damaging it slightly so I'd been running a bike with a faulty sensor and it finally gave up over time. It's now turned off via TuneECU and i'm just debating to renew the sensor or leave it turned off with an updated map or to refit the commander.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Well done in finding what it was. After all that have to start calling you and expert.

See you soon for a track day or a ride in some sun shine
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

I just like the fact he has realized he created his own fault.

(Rather than if it aint broke dont fix it attitude lol)
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

Glad you got it sorted.
Why would anyone fit a power commander when you can use tune ecu? Mental bloody mental, even a dealer could charge less and make more.
So have you lost your tune ecu cherry?
ST4
DRZ400e
Cuckoo
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Cuckoo »

New map loaded, sensor removed and blanked, smile on face again. Cheers all
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

I would be concerned how the dodgy sensor wasn't pulling up a fault light,
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Ducaki wrote: Mar 29th, '18, 22:38 Why would anyone fit a power commander when you can use tune ecu?
I read one reason is because tuners don't like using TuneECU as it's too slow to use, maybe because they can't just use the auto tune functions Dynojet have developed. Either Way a professional custom tune will cost more in labour for TuneECU than PC.

I would like to remove mine and convert my custom map from the PC to TuneECU - have you messed around with TuneECU?
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Ducaki
Learner Driver

Post by Ducaki »

Jug_Inspector wrote: Aug 2nd, '18, 12:20
Ducaki wrote: Mar 29th, '18, 22:38 Why would anyone fit a power commander when you can use tune ecu?
I read one reason is because tuners don't like using TuneECU as it's too slow to use, maybe because they can't just use the auto tune functions Dynojet have developed. Either Way a professional custom tune will cost more in labour for TuneECU than PC.

I would like to remove mine and convert my custom map from the PC to TuneECU - have you messed around with TuneECU?
Not used it myself as I don't have a compatible bike, but I know people who have. I've been told when was looking at tigers that maps can be downloaded and if you want you can even fine tune them yourself. I think you'd love Rich.
Also know a ST4 owner who was recovered from Germany due to a failed pc once removed the bike was fine. He could have bought an eprom for £50 takes 10minutes to fit.
Honestly I feel pc is a frig box and dj kits are smoke and mirrors. It's an age where were just consumers. Just my opinion.
ST4
DRZ400e
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

My duke was done using tune ecu.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Ducaki wrote: Aug 2nd, '18, 19:42 Not used it myself as I don't have a compatible bike, but I know people who have. I've been told when was looking at tigers that maps can be downloaded and if you want you can even fine tune them yourself. I think you'd love Rich.
Also know a ST4 owner who was recovered from Germany due to a failed pc once removed the bike was fine. He could have bought an eprom for £50 takes 10minutes to fit.
Honestly I feel pc is a frig box and dj kits are smoke and mirrors. It's an age where were just consumers. Just my opinion.
So you're criticising someone for using a tried & tested product already fitted to a bike when purchased over something you've never actually used?

Power commanders come from an age when ECU software was locked up tight & a black art, so they were an easy way of adjusting fi fuelling. Times have moved on, and to keep a business alive so have PC's.

As with all things, once someone has a good market, others want a chunk of it and come along with (sometimes) better alternatives. Also, thanks to competition laws and a better understanding of the product, people are able to crack ECU's where they couldn't in the past.

Power commanders still have their place, and can be very reliable. I have one (a PC2!) on my TL that was fitted some 16yrs ago ...... They can also be an easy way for a tuner to create a fuel map based on the original and then burn an EPROM to suit and remove the PC.

A word of warning re creating your own fuel maps with something like tune-ecu (or the power commander software) and "seat of the pants" riding .... How do you measure your co & afr? How do you know you aren't running too lean? Burnt valves & melted pistons are bleddy expensive compared to a few hours on the Dyno in the hands of an experienced technician ......

To the OP - well done! You have proved the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Glad it's a happy bike again.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

billinom8s wrote: Aug 2nd, '18, 20:33 My duke was done using tune ecu.
What was done, custom map from a rolling road tuning session or someone else's map loaded on to your ECU?
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

Ducaki wrote: Aug 2nd, '18, 19:42 I think you'd love Rich.
I really don't want to get too involved with it, it's been setup and has a custom map.
I'd just like that map moved over to the bikes ECU so I could remove the PCIII. I could then flog that on fleabay and remove the PC declaration from my insurance and likely the premium would go down.
Reliability isn't a real concern but it's always nice to reduce the complexity of a system as the PC is another possible point of weakness.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Jug_Inspector wrote: Aug 2nd, '18, 22:16
Ducaki wrote: Aug 2nd, '18, 19:42 I think you'd love Rich.
I really don't want to get too involved with it, it's been setup and has a custom map.
I'd just like that map moved over to the bikes ECU so I could remove the PCIII. I could then flog that on fleabay and remove the PC declaration from my insurance and likely the premium would go down.
Reliability isn't a real concern but it's always nice to reduce the complexity of a system as the PC is another possible point of weakness.
I'm in a similar situation with my MV, except my reason for wanting to remove the PC3 is it occupies the space the OE toolkit used to fill, and I'd like to be able to carry that and the rear wheel socket there - yes, storage space really is that limited!
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Ducaki
Learner Driver

Post by Ducaki »

Taking a stock map and removing fuel would be an odd thing to do. If your ass don't know what's lean. Stick to what you know :-)
ST4
DRZ400e
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

TLS-Moose wrote: Aug 2nd, '18, 22:52 except my reason for wanting to remove the PC3 is it occupies the space the OE toolkit used to fill, and I'd like to be able to carry that and the rear wheel socket there - yes, storage space really is that limited!
Ditto on my SD. I don't carry tools for fear they'll beat the hell out of the PCIII.

Just been doing a little reading and it seems that TuneECU has some kind of import facility to adopt PC maps...
I have both the software & the uploaded map saved on my PC so I might have a bugger about with it.