Ducati belts advise?

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Ducati belts advise?

Post by Ducaki »

Hi Guys.
I sorted the dirtbikes but keep putting off the Ducati belts. Anyone have any advice for me. It's a 4 valve engine. All the YouTube stuff involves tipex and counting teeth, was hoping to find something a little more technical.
Thanks
ST4
DRZ400e
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Re: Ducati belts advise?

Post by Ruffian »

Tippex is only there as a tell tale that the pulleys haven't moved. Do this on every engine, be it cam chain, belt or gears.

When I pull the covers and time the engine up, tippex the pulley to the block/head, I run the tippex across the belt, this way can count the teeth if necessary.

Lots of ducati''s have a harmonic frequency for there cambelts also, (to set tension) I would look into this before going too far just I'm case you don't have the correct tools.

Cambelts aren't technical, just concerning as a rubber band is all that holds your engine in time.
I still get paranoid everytime I start a vehicle after major work.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Re: Ducati belts advise?

Post by Ducaki »

Quick update.
The Desmo Quattro runs a reduction gear onto the cambelt drive shaft. So all the pullies are the same size and it all runs at half engine speed. The markings are so clear it would be obvious if it was wrong.
Can't believe how complicated they make it look on YouTube. Got me all worked up for nothing:-)
ST4
DRZ400e