Arcing spark

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

mad_philly
Learner Driver
First Name: Andy

Arcing spark

Post by mad_philly »

Hey all,

I've got an odd issue on the Bandit in that when it's damp I get a misfire on plug 3. After a bit of riding when the damp stops it's fine. I've taken a look when it happens and I can plainly see sparks under the rubber boot AND above.

I order a new spark plug cap from wemoto, which turned out to be made of jelly and broke before fitting and instead snipped the lead in case it was damaged and re-used the original cap. This has made it better, but it still did it. Someone has mentioned that the coilpack could be gone but I just don't understand how that would make the sparks appear where they are.

Appreciate any insight :-?

Thanks
"A leader is born of one with enough courage to follow them"

2005 Suzuki Bandit SK5
2011 Triumph Bonneville America 865
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Re: Arcing spark

Post by Ducaki »

I think it's on coils not stick coils. The seal is an oval shape, genuine would be the way to go, even dyna leads used to suffer in the wet.
Give it a bloody good clean and inspect for damage. Normally find ignition arking is due to oil and dirt holding moisture.
ST4
DRZ400e
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

have you tried a new plug ,
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
tomr6
Learner Driver
First Name: Tom

Post by tomr6 »

The arc is caused by a release of energy to earth. It could be caused by a breakdown of the insulation or contamination as mentioned above. Thoroughly clean the plug and cap and look for obvious failure points. If you cant find anything and the clean doesnt cure it the replacement of cap and plug is a good option. If all the plugs and caps are the same age you may start to see similar failures on the other 3 caps or plugs. Hope this is useful for you
[img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/TomWW/tomr6copy3.jpg[/img]
mad_philly
Learner Driver
First Name: Andy

Post by mad_philly »

:-bd Yep - that's all great guys, cheers! Will give her a good scrub this weekend and see how it goes.
"A leader is born of one with enough courage to follow them"

2005 Suzuki Bandit SK5
2011 Triumph Bonneville America 865
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Once an insulator has failed it can be dead. The arc can burn the material and leave a carbon pathway that will be a weak point from then on.
As others have said, give it all a really good clean. Silicone spray can help too.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.