It's Gruesome (Michelin Road 5)

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

It's Gruesome (Michelin Road 5)

Post by MellowYellow »

Went in to have one of the new Michelin Road 5 s fitted (rear).

When I returned the bike was still on the ramp with 2 people peering at it.

The tyre was rubbing on the hugger. After a chat, I wandered off for 40 mins. Returning again, the bike was still not sorted.

One of the chaps fetched a Pilot Road 4 and it was quite obvious that the 5 was significantly larger. So, 5 off, 4 on no problem.

Tiz an issue though and Protyre will be contacting Michelin.

Why me ?????
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
pieeater
First Name: Paul

Re: It's Gruesome

Post by pieeater »

Don't want to be overly critical but the title of your post could be better worded so that others who are considering PR5s would benefit from your experience.

Not a fan of Protyre at least in Exeter (AMS next door are much better). I had to have a new tyre fitted on a bank holiday weekend and was told the tyre was in stock and that I could come in as all the tyre fitters were able to fit a bike tyre. Whilst I was waiting to have my tyre fitted I listened to a conversation with the guy at the counter and an obviously desperate biker where the biker was told that the bike tyre fitter was not in that day and there was nowhere local that would be able to help get him out of trouble :80:
MellowYellow
Learner Driver

Post by MellowYellow »

Was going to wait until next week, but yesterday, when I saw the weather for today, I started ringing around.

Protyre was the only palce that had stock. They also could fit it today. I have had some very good experiences with them, and also some not so good.

Title was intended to be the old play on words. 'It was gruesome, then it grew some more'.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Re: It's Gruesome (Michelin Road 5)

Post by Ruffian »

Everyone should have a friendly tyre guy :D

Where there is a will, there is a way.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

Interesting I'd be screwed as I normally get them posted. Was it taller or wider, they didn't pickup a 60 instead of a 55 or something like that?
ST4
DRZ400e
MellowYellow
Learner Driver

Post by MellowYellow »

Ducaki wrote: Apr 5th, '18, 19:28 Interesting I'd be screwed as I normally get them posted. Was it taller or wider, they didn't pickup a 60 instead of a 55 or something like that?
Nah!

Several tech peeps involved. Slightly wider, but overall diameter was the prob. Hitting the hugger where it met the swing arm.

They (evenshuallly) put a 5 and a 4 physically together, and it was very obvious.
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

What size was it on Mellow?
ST4
DRZ400e
pieeater
First Name: Paul

Post by pieeater »

MellowYellow wrote: Apr 5th, '18, 16:11 Title was intended to be the old play on words. 'It was gruesome, then it grew some more'.
Sorry - flew right over my head :erm:
MellowYellow
Learner Driver

Post by MellowYellow »

Ducaki wrote: Apr 5th, '18, 20:32What size was it on Mellow?

180 / 55 / 17
bkingalan
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Alan

Post by bkingalan »

Had one fitted to the SD last weekend it runs closer the hugger on mine to it was quite visible but not touching
MV 1000 brutale rs
MV 800 turismo veloce luso
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Michelin have often made tyres larger for a given size than their competitors. I had a pair of Pilot Race's on the TL many moons ago. The 190/50 rear was taller (& wider) worn out than the new 190/55 Pirelli Diablo Corsa that replaced it.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away