Hayabusa rear pre-load

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Gadjetuk
Learner Driver
First Name: Nigel

Hayabusa rear pre-load

Post by Gadjetuk »

Hi all, after a bit of help. I have a Hayabusa (2016) which went in for a service this weekend to Bridge. Whilst it was in I had asked them in advance to add some preload to the rear shock. I would normally have done this but I haven’t got a c spanner that fitted. After seeing it being road tested, after its service I walked past the workshop door and could see 3 mechanics around the back of the bike discussing it. After asking them what the problem was, I was told that the only way to adjust the preload was to remove the rear shock completely from the bike. I find this hard to believe as surly the preload is a trial and error adjustment and potentially you could be removing/replacing the shock half a dozen times to get it right.
I only want to add the pre-load as this bike is mainly for carrying a passenger.

Nige
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Re: Hayabusa rear pre-load

Post by ptolemyx »

Nigel, if you're near North Devon come round to mine for tips and tricks specific to the big Bazukis. I know my way reasonably well around Busas (the old nail gen1s as well as gen2s) and B-Kings. You'll also find the UKBusas forum a wealth of information......and piss taking!
Depending on the combined mass of you, passenger and any luggage you might not need too much extra preload over stock which is spot on for my 100kg when I've all my gear on.
If you want the bling and can afford it, I recommend a Nitron rear shock with remote adjusters, though the stock shock is damned good and in all likelihood can be adjusted to suit your needs.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Gadjetuk
Learner Driver
First Name: Nigel

Post by Gadjetuk »

Thanks for the reply ptolemyx, sorry it's taken so long to thank you. As it happens I have now sold the Busa anyway. But just for the record Bridge were quite correct. In theory you can adjust the spring in the bike, but in practice not a reality. To give Bridge their due, they did offer to remove the shock from the bike, adjust and refit free of charge as I had bought the bike from them. But I had made such an arse of myself in There, I couldn't bring myself to take them up on the offer.
Cheers Nige
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

FWIW I can adjust my gen2 shock in situ, just needs the left side footrest assembly off and a bit of care with the correct c-spanner.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't