help please hayabusa rear preload

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Gadjetuk
Learner Driver
First Name: Nigel

help please hayabusa rear preload

Post by Gadjetuk »

(Hi all, after a bit of help. I have a Hayabusa (2016) which went in for a service this weekend to Bridge. Whilst it was in I had asked them in advance to add some preload to the rear shock. I would normally have done this but I haven’t got a c spanner that fitted. After seeing it being road tested, after its service I walked past the workshop door and could see 3 mechanics around the back of the bike discussing it. After asking them what the problem was, I was told that the only way to adjust the preload was to remove the rear shock completely from the bike. I find this hard to believe as surly the preload is a trial and error adjustment and potentially you could be removing/replacing the shock half a dozen times to get it right.
I only want to add the pre-load as this bike is mainly for carrying a passenger.

Nige
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: help please hayabusa rear preload

Post by billinom8s »

Hi and welcome to swb.

What year is the bus?

Any pics of the area?
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Buggs
Learner Driver
First Name: ross

Post by Buggs »

Access is fairly limited, and being brand new you wouldn't want to tap it round with a punch lol. I think you'd be able to take the wheel out and get to it
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

Another strong advert for Bridge, did none of the mechanics think to contact Suzuki UK or even Google??
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

If you're near north Devon I might be able to help; know my way round the bid Zooks pretty well (dinosaur gen1 Busas as well as your more up to date gen2 and B-Kings). Rear preload can be done in situ, best take off the left rearset assembly and access is improved by loosening and lifting the tail plastics which isn't as big a deal as it seems.

Any idea what the sag is with you and passenger aboard? If you and the pillion are not of the larger persuasion you may well not need to increase the preload, especially as the stock spring rate is quite high so suspenders unlikely to bottom out.

I can personally vouch for Nitron, with remote adjusters, should you feel the need for a replacement shock.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

P.S. A wealth of Hayabusa knowledge, and banter, is freely available on the UK Busas forum:-

http://www.ukbusas.org/forum/
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't