CBR600rr - rear tyre recommendations

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Shooey
Learner Driver
First Name: Paul

CBR600rr - rear tyre recommendations

Post by Shooey »

Currently running: Pirelli diablo rosso 3, two track days and 2500 road miles and ALREADY in need of a new rear tyre. Great tyre just not enough life in it for the money!

More track days to follow but would like a tyre to last a bit longer than this! And maybe not cost as much.

Any recommendations??

180/55/R17
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Re: CBR600rr - rear tyre recommendations

Post by Scotty »

The Ron Haslam Race School use fairly un-racey tyres on their bikes (yes it is a real expression) to save themselves heaps of money and work changing worn-out soft ones all the time. Nobody has complained that their RHRS 600RR was short of grip. I can't recommend any particular tyre, and in asking for opinions on a forum you're likely to receive dozens of contradicting replies.

Try dropping Stef at Tyres 4 Bikes an email and outline what you're trying to find: tyres4bikes@gmail.com
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Ron haslam liked to run the Bridgestone t30 evo.
But they have released the t31 so t30''s can be sourced cheap. (£185 pair delivered) touring compounds but can still run with the big boys

The s20 and s21 are available also but are the softer sports compound.

Metzeler m7rr also worth looking at.

2500miles isn't too bad mileage though for a sports bike.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Shooey
Learner Driver

Post by Shooey »

Thanks gents! After a fair bit of time today looking into this and looking at the options suggested, I’ve got it Sorted. Managed to pick up another Rosso 3 for £110 deliverd for Italy!! At that price, it’s a great deal and worth it even if it sheds a bit quick!

I like the sound of the Metzeler and probably would have tried this although I’ve not ever used this brand before but people seem to really like this tyre!

Thank you gentlemen.
pieeater

Post by pieeater »

Ron Haslam's school switched over to Dunlops last year - https://www.tyrepress.com/2017/04/ron-h ... e-partner/

From personal experience over a number of years and bikes my opinion is there's no actual benefit to running a sports orientated tyre on the road, you just end up paying more over time. Also it's pointless comparing mileages between riders / bikes as there are too many variables including rider weight, riding style, pillion duty, local road surface condition etc.. For example someone with the same bike and tyres as me said they got 6,000 from a rear whilst I get 3,000 !!
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

2500 miles and 2 trackdays, and you're complaining?? I'd say that's pretty darned good for sticky tyre!

Might be worth getting a second set of wheels for sticky trackdays tyres and running a more road/mileage oriented tyre for everyday?
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

I ran a Mezeller RaceTec K3 on road and on track. on a GSXR 600 K1 managed to get 4 track days and road time from the front and could do about a year of road riding or a couple of track days from the rear.

Previously i used to use Mitchelins 2CT tyre and it lasted very well but grip was not great and after 2 years i fond the tyre went hard and needed changing anyway.

I currently run Metzeller M7RRs on my 1000cc and they have done Llandow and a year of road riding and are better in the wet then the Racetecs. depends if you are looking for something that will handle the rain or if you want summer sunshine only.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

As moose said.
CBR wheels are cheap atm, run scrubs on track. With something like PR5 , Roadtech 01 or T31 for the road should do over 5K.
ST4
DRZ400e