Repairing plastics

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Ming
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Andy

Repairing plastics

Post by Ming »

Some of you will know my KTM got knocked over in a Spanish car park recently and the main damage was to the number plate mount which has fractured quite badly. This also seems to form part of the mudguard so not easily removable. I've tried to stick it back together with Araldite and it held up until yesterday's shenanigans when the bumpy roads got the better of the fix and it's back to square one.

I'm loathe to part with a kidney in order to buy a new unit so was wondering if anyone's any good at plastic repairs that actually work, rather than my feeble attempts.

Cheers
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Honda CB300R - can I get any smaller 🙄
Ming
SWB Subscriber

Re: Repairing plastics

Post by Ming »

Well, well.

Turns out KTM are not in the business of ripping off loyal customers a la Triumph, and the number plate support is a mighty £10.14..... For that price I'll get a new one and fit it myself.
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

Result :D ! At what point did the Ming repair give up the ghost then? It all looked o.k at Hartland, so good in fact I was thinking of commisioning your glueing expertise myself - there's always something falling off the Fut, sometimes me!
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Ming
SWB Subscriber

Post by Ming »

Probably along the old A30 past Jethro's..... hit a bump at silly speeds and I reckon it gave up the ghost!
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

Ming wrote: Oct 1st, '18, 15:38 Probably along the old A30 past Jethro's..... hit a bump at silly speeds - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -!
"That's impossible Officer, he was following me, and I was doing exactly 39.5 miles per hour - ask all my honest friends behind!"
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

Ming wrote: Oct 1st, '18, 14:32 Well, well.

Turns out KTM are not in the business of ripping off loyal customers a la Triumph, and the number plate support is a mighty £10.14..... For that price I'll get a new one and fit it myself.
A lot of KTM parts can be reasonably priced, and always worth having a look online first before buying someones optimistically overpriced 2nd hand tat on Ebay. The parts micro fiches on most dealers websites are dead handy for nailing down the exact part you want and showing you how much it is. If you're buying big purchases its worth looking at Jersey Bikers as you don't pay the VAT unless customs gets to it and then in that case Jersey Bikers will refund it ! :D https://www.bikersjersey.com/
Also worth using Eurotek through the KTM Forum as they offer members 15% off the RRP.
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

Well i was gonna recommend a Plastex kit , but that would be more expensive than the part i reckon
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Rexi
Learner Driver
First Name: Seb

Post by Rexi »

a good way of cheap repairing the more flexible plastics is to use bumper filler. if its a big crack all the way through Build a net using cable ties on the inside of the fairing you can use bumper filler to attach the net to fairing then fill using the bumper filler once hard sand down and respray panel. For smaller scratches and scraps just fill with bumper filler its very flexible and works well with motorcycle fairings because of the need to flex.