Me with a big bike

Anti-Theft Devices & Insurance related issues...

Moderator: Staff

ZXR400Lee
Learner Driver

Post by ZXR400Lee »

Anybody thats taken a test recently will know that.. hence, any youngsters will know that..
Rides: 2020 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT
born2rock86
Learner Driver

Post by born2rock86 »

ZXR400Lee wrote:Anybody thats taken a test recently will know that.. hence, any youngsters will know that..
I dunno mate, youngsters take tests on 125's... when you open up the throttle nothing much happens.
Just... just call me Danny!
[img]http://www.dynamight.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sig/dannysig.jpg[/img]
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

"[url]http://www.navy-net.co.uk[/url]">The Navy Net, RumRation
Cheggers
Learner Driver

Post by Cheggers »

ZXR400Lee wrote:Anybody thats taken a test recently will know that.. hence, any youngsters will know that..
Well, to be fair not all youngsters take tests. Maybe all stinky has done is a cbt.
Rides - 2008 R1
1980 CB250RS
Drives - Honda Motegi Prelude 2.2 VTEC
ZXR400Lee
Learner Driver

Post by ZXR400Lee »

How can he expect to ride anything bigger than a 125 on L plates without taking a test. So he will have to at some point.
ZXR400Lee
Learner Driver

Post by ZXR400Lee »

Not getting the point I'm trying to make though... maybe its just me..

If you can pass a test on a bike, you obviously can show you can use the machine, so when using the same attitude towards other sized machines you can ride them too.

Thats' all I'm trying to say when your saying that biker bikes arent for younger people. I mean look at Danny Pedrosa, he is 21 now, but been riding very very fast bikes for a long time. I know he is a professional, blah, blah.. but young people can ride bigger bikes, its not just for you old people and born again bikers.
DynaMight
Learner Driver

Post by DynaMight »

R1 is a girls bike anyway :) made for big sissy girls ;)
Cheggers
Learner Driver

Post by Cheggers »

I don't think the fact that anyone is young automatically makes them a danger on a big bike. You could be in the same position as stinky at age 50, do a DAS, buy yourself a busa and you'd still be a major risk. The fact that your older should make you a bit wiser but this isn't always the case.

Tests judge your riding ability on a cb500, which will be no where near like riding a litre sportsbike (well, the way they're made to be ridden :twisted: ).
Rides - 2008 R1
1980 CB250RS
born2rock86
Learner Driver

Post by born2rock86 »

ZXR400Lee wrote:Not getting the point I'm trying to make though... maybe its just me..

If you can pass a test on a bike, you obviously can show you can use the machine, so when using the same attitude towards other sized machines you can ride them too.

Thats' all I'm trying to say when your saying that biker bikes arent for younger people. I mean look at Danny Pedrosa, he is 21 now, but been riding very very fast bikes for a long time. I know he is a professional, blah, blah.. but young people can ride bigger bikes, its not just for you old people and born again bikers.
It's not the age mate, it's the experiance.
Just because you're old, doesn't mean you can handle it - so I agree with you there, but somebody who's just passed their test on a 125 and used to flicking the throttle back isn't going to know what happens when you do that on an R1 until he does it.
Just... just call me Danny!
[img]http://www.dynamight.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sig/dannysig.jpg[/img]
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

"[url]http://www.navy-net.co.uk[/url]">The Navy Net, RumRation
Stinky
Learner Driver

Post by Stinky »

I havent even got the hang of changing gear :oops: but I will be doing my bike test soon...hopfully. If all goes right, (which it hasnt tonight) and I get my mum to let me use her visa card...I will be a very rich man 8)
Potential Royal Marines Course: 27th Feb o7 - Fail
Infantry Basic Training - 18th November 07 - ?
Xbox Live Tag - StinkyUK
watters
Learner Driver

Post by watters »

you havnt got the hang of changing gear and your on about an r1?

one day you will look back on this and laugh,if you survive that long.
the monkey bike of love!
Stinky
Learner Driver

Post by Stinky »

Im not talking about getting one tommrow. I will do my bike test first then if all goes well, I will get a new bike. I think a 1000c is abit to much for me though.
Potential Royal Marines Course: 27th Feb o7 - Fail
Infantry Basic Training - 18th November 07 - ?
Xbox Live Tag - StinkyUK
Cheggers
Learner Driver

Post by Cheggers »

Stinky wrote:Im not talking about getting one tommrow. I will do my bike test first then if all goes well, I will get a new bike. I think a 1000c is abit to much for me though.
Possibly the understatement of the year. :wink: :lol: :lol:

I've only been riding for 4 years and i still don't think i use my 600 to its full potential! Give it a couple more years and i'll get a 750, but i don't think i could ever cope with a thou.

Whatever bike you get next, its a step in the right direction. Any geared bike is better than a twist and go.
Rides - 2008 R1
1980 CB250RS
ZXR400Lee
Learner Driver

Post by ZXR400Lee »

I was under the impression that you already knew how to use a bike properly, sorry about that.. in that case, I wouldnt even say get a 600 sports not a newish one anyway they are still very quick bikes, more like a 400 or a 600 sit up style bike.

I've riden GSXR600 and GSXR1000 now, there isnt much between them up top, but where as you have to wind up the 600 to get it to perform, the 1000 has power straight from the off..

If you havent riden a manual bike, please dont get a 1000cc bike after taking a 125cc test.
jason
Learner Driver

Post by jason »

ZXR400Lee wrote:I've riden GSXR600 and GSXR1000 now, there isnt much between them up top, but where as you have to wind up the 600 to get it to perform, the 1000 has power straight from the off..
the difference in acceleration is enormous, seriously. particularly up top.

the thou will be generating 50 odd bhp more at the top end of its rev range and only weighs a couple of kilo's more.

Its a huge difference.
ZXR400Lee
Learner Driver

Post by ZXR400Lee »

I only had my 30 minute test ride, felt more comfortable on the 600 as I could ride it more like I rode my 400, whack the throttle right open. Was a K4 600, and a K1 1000. On the 1000, I was much more gentle, dont really have to turn the throttle, more just squeeze it!

Didnt take either above 150mph though, was being a good boy. Got the 600 to 144mph, more than impressed with that.

I dont have the experience though to ride a bike I dont know to the red, especially a 1000cc bike, I've only put my 1100 up near the red once in 3rd gear and its like being in a tunnel, everything around is blurry and things come up really fast!