Insurance on a 6/10 or 7/11 converted bike.

Anti-Theft Devices & Insurance related issues...

Moderator: Staff

Jonny
Learner Driver
First Name: Jonny

Insurance on a 6/10 or 7/11 converted bike.

Post by Jonny »

Just a small question.

If you own a bike and for one reason or another put a different motor in it, eg a Gsxr750 with an 1100 motor; what do you have to declair? I am assuming that you must update your V5? What do insurance companys say to this?

For example.

Suppose a GSXR600 found itself a GSXR1000 motor, would this then be declaired as a 'mod'? Obviously the owner would still want to be insured legally.

Thanks in advance.

Jonny.
ZXR400Lee
Learner Driver

Post by ZXR400Lee »

You change its displacement on the V5 and tell insurance company, to do this legally is a completely pointless idea, as you will then be paying GSXR1000 insurance. But do this on the quiet, keep the 600 stickers, and the fairing hides the engine, and you have a wolf in sheeps clothing! :wink:

DONT HAVE AN ACCIDENT!
Rides: 2020 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT
born2rock86
Learner Driver

Post by born2rock86 »

If you have an accident, then you can amaze people with a totalled bike body with an immaculte 600 engine inside it ;)
Just... just call me Danny!
[img]http://www.dynamight.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sig/dannysig.jpg[/img]
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

"[url]http://www.navy-net.co.uk[/url]">The Navy Net, RumRation
born2rock86
Learner Driver

Post by born2rock86 »

That said though mate, if you want a 1000cc engine then get a 1000cc bike.

Your bike has been designed for a 600cc, bearing in mind the torque and weight it copes with.

Change the engine if you want, but it's tempting fate.
Just... just call me Danny!
[img]http://www.dynamight.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sig/dannysig.jpg[/img]
Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

"[url]http://www.navy-net.co.uk[/url]">The Navy Net, RumRation
ZXR400Lee
Learner Driver

Post by ZXR400Lee »

Is this for your SRAD? Thinking about it now, my buddy Ryan has a 1000cc K1 motor in his 600 SRAD frame, and fitted K1 plastics, so it looks just like a K1 but its a 1998 plate and a Red Bull racing replica.

When he brings it back from Bristol I'll take a couple photos.
Rides: 2020 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT
Jonny
Learner Driver
First Name: Jonny

Post by Jonny »

ZXR400Lee wrote:Is this for your SRAD? Thinking about it now, my buddy Ryan has a 1000cc K1 motor in his 600 SRAD frame, and fitted K1 plastics, so it looks just like a K1 but its a 1998 plate and a Red Bull racing replica.

Photos would be great thanks! The plastics all fit round the 600 SRAD

Yeah its my SRAD. Fitting a 1000cc K1 motor is fairly easy and not to expensive to do. The bikes already got uprated suspension and brakes.

Still havent sold my last bike, I'll have a few pennies from that.

Just interested in the insurance point of view. I know I wouldent be able to afford insurance on a litre bike, hence trying to get round it by 'upgrading' my 600.

A friend of mine is thinking about fitting a 2litre Honda V-Tec engine in his Mini and apparantly he can get 'kit-car' insurance which is practically fee. I was just wondering if it was the same for bikes.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Jonny wrote:
ZXR400Lee wrote:Is this for your SRAD? Thinking about it now, my buddy Ryan has a 1000cc K1 motor in his 600 SRAD frame, and fitted K1 plastics, so it looks just like a K1 but its a 1998 plate and a Red Bull racing replica.

......Yeah its my SRAD. Fitting a 1000cc K1 motor is fairly easy and not to expensive to do. The bikes already got uprated suspension and brakes........................I know I wouldent be able to afford insurance on a litre bike, hence trying to get round it by 'upgrading' my 600. ................ apparantly he can get 'kit-car' insurance which is practically fee. I was just wondering if it was the same for bikes.

At your age / experience, a modified bike, especially a 600 with a 1k motor shoe-horned in, is not gonna be cheap :shock: certainly no cheaper than trying to insure a standard litre engined bike :roll: On one hand the older age of the bike go's in it's favour, but on the other the bigger engine in a bike not designed for it counters that :evil:

If you can use as much standard parts from the same manufacturer / model line it definitely helps :D

Another aspect is that few companies will touch a truly modified bike (as opposed to one with a lot of "bolt-on" parts thrown at it :wink: ), so your choices will be greatly limited ....... :(

As a compromise why not try a 750 motor :?

Either way, it ain't gonna be cheap, but you do end up with something "unique", and have the pride of saying "I did that" 8)
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
chris_1127
Learner Driver
Location: Paignton Rides: Yamaha xtz750, XS650 chop in (very slow) progress

Post by chris_1127 »

every time i've insured my 7-11 they rate it as the highest risk part of the bike ie the 11 motor. and then load the premium for all the other mods. haven't had too much trouble insuring it either, carol cash, cia, adrian flux and bikesure have all been happy enough to quote for it.

dont know if the later blocks are the same, but earlier oil cooled blocks have the CC's stamped on the side at the base of the barrels - nothing that a bit of grinding wouldn't remove if you wanted to be dishonest about it....

go on, get the spanners out... ;)
gsx-aaaaaaaargh!!!