Long Term Street Parking

Anti-Theft Devices & Insurance related issues...

Moderator: Staff

andrew125
Learner Driver
First Name: Andrew

Long Term Street Parking

Post by andrew125 »

Hey everyone, moving to Plymouth soon, and I have a 125cc bike, only worth about £800 or so, but looks like it is worth more. The property I will be renting has no garage and the landlord recommended leaving it outisde. It is pretty close to the university, so might be a few pedestrians around. Do you think I will be safe leaving it outside the property? Doesn't seem to be much to chain it too, but not sure of the alternatives, if any? Is there anywhere especially for parking bikes (as there are so many bikers there :) )

Thanks a lot
dan90210
Learner Driver
First Name: Dan

Re: Long Term Street Parking

Post by dan90210 »

You will want as much security as you can afford. Cover it up too and make sure the wind cannot blow the cover off. Out of sight out of mind. I have five different style locks on my bike when left overnight, and it is covered over and strapped tight. Paranoid? Maybe. But better safe than gutted! If it is stolen, I know I did all I could.

I've had a couple of bikes pinched now and both times I could have done more to secure it. Learn from my mistakes..
andrew125
Learner Driver
First Name: Andrew

Post by andrew125 »

Sorry to hear you have had 2 bikes stolen :(

What locks do you have on there? The only thing that there might be to chain it to would be a lamppost, I suppose that's better than nothing. Any particular ones you can recommend? Thanks :)
dan90210
Learner Driver
First Name: Dan

Post by dan90210 »

I can't write here how it is secured as it is as good as giving the game away. Thiefs need different tools for different locks. Hence why I have many. ;-)

Locks are locks. They can all be broken. I'd stick to popular brands and stay away from plain padlocks. Padlocks large and small can be opened VERY easily. If you do choose a padlock style make sure the clasp is sheilded from the body in some way.

If a theif wants it bad enough they will take it. Your job is to make it as difficult as possible so Mr. Thief moves on to something easier.
Red5
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Nick
Location: If there's a bright centre to the universe, it's the rock it's farthest from

Post by Red5 »

Unforunately there are [Censored] out there who will take anything. Like Dan said, do all you can. One thing. I try where possible. keep the chain off the floor, at least means any whacking, cutting etc has to be done in mid air and not against a solid surface. [idiot] chops will move on if it's proving hassle. I've been court before now though, would I prefer to be greeted with an empty space, or my pride and joy kicked over and smashed because knob rot couldn't take it...
answer, plug the frame and chassis into a HV supply, and while he's frying, get the sledge hammer and do his knee caps, then poster up a pic and show everyone why his chard remains were found floating down by the barbacan. Oh silly me, that would violate his human rights, how inconsiderate if me. hurd up the lot of them and sed them to afgan and see how 'ard they are then. And save the lives of our hard working genuin brave soldiers.
Just my opinion and rant.
\m/ :-bd
Don't care who you are, how much you have, how powerful you are. You still sit on the toilet with your pants around your ankles. Yep, it's a level playing field..
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

you been drinking nick ?

alarm
park in the hallway ?
disk lock/s
pop the seat and remove the ignition fuse
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
AndyG
Learner Driver
First Name: Andy

Post by AndyG »

Red5 wrote:..One thing. I try where possible. keep the chain off the floor, at least means any whacking, cutting etc has to be done in mid air and not against a solid surface.
...........Very good advice! :ymapplause:

I have some Heavy Chains and Locks if you need some at a low price (cheap)

Or anyone who is in Exeter. Too heavy to post.

Triumph Speed Triple
MG ZTT 260 Supercharged
MGF Road Race Modified
poacher
Learner Driver
First Name: Steve

Post by poacher »

ANDYG TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS CHAIN STEVE
Red5
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Nick
Location: If there's a bright centre to the universe, it's the rock it's farthest from

Post by Red5 »

billinom8s wrote:you been drinking nick ?

Not yet... :)) saving myself for the weekend. Just got on my soap box.. grrr. =))

alarm
park in the hallway ?
disk lock/s
pop the seat and remove the ignition fuse
Don't care who you are, how much you have, how powerful you are. You still sit on the toilet with your pants around your ankles. Yep, it's a level playing field..
AndyG
Learner Driver

Post by AndyG »

poacher wrote:ANDYG TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS CHAIN STEVE

I bought half a dozen when Bakers Yard changed hands and they sold a load of stuff Cheap :wink:

Pop round the house anytime?
Triumph Speed Triple
MG ZTT 260 Supercharged
MGF Road Race Modified
poacher
Learner Driver
First Name: Steve

Post by poacher »

AndyG wrote:

I bought half a dozen when Bakers Yard changed hands and they sold a load of stuff Cheap :wink:

FONE ME ANDY ABOUT CHAIN
AndyG
Learner Driver

Post by AndyG »

poacher wrote:
AndyG wrote:

FONE ME ANDY ABOUT CHAIN
I will do some pics tomorrow/Monday and put in the For Sale Section.

PM me your Email Address
Triumph Speed Triple
MG ZTT 260 Supercharged
MGF Road Race Modified
Troy
Learner Driver
First Name: Troy

Post by Troy »

If i were you i'd look into a cheap alarm. I've put a Cyclone V2 on my bike, simply wired into the battery and that's it. It's very loud, and when i've had people touch or try and sit on my bike before, it has definitely scared them off. I team this with a huge chain and a disc lock, oh and a cover. My younger brother just had his bike stolen because he had no security on it.

If someone wants it bad enough, they'll have it. The best you can do is make it as hard as possible for them.