Replacing upside down fork seals at home with no special tools!

Look in here for 'How to' guides that have been donated to us...

Moderator: Staff

Dan_RR
Learner Driver
First Name: Dan

Replacing upside down fork seals at home with no special tools!

Post by Dan_RR »

Hey guys,

I have been making video logs of my track bike that I have now taken on track at the weekend! What an awesome experience but nothing to do with this thread.... However one of the jobs that needed doing when I bought the bike was to replace the upside down fork seals. Thought it might come in handy for anyone doing this job as a lot of modern bikes have upside down forks nowadays :-bd

Here's the 2 links, this is on my 2002 Honda 929 fireblade:

Part 1, removing the forks and stripping them, skip forward to about 3 mins in as I talk about other stuff at the beginning:

https://youtu.be/VMfx3VBZkhk

Step 2, Re-fitting seals etc and putting them back on the bike.

https://youtu.be/c2UCRjtba2E

Only thing I would say is when doing the fork oil level an air gap is definitely more precise, I have now used the bike for 120 odd miles on the track day and found the forks were not quite travelling as far as I expected even with the stock settings soften off slightly, for this reason I will be draining a small amount of oil out of each leg (measured into a jug so they are the same) to hopefully soften it slightly and give me the full travel. This is only minor though but thought worth noting.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers Dan
Link to all my drifting shenanigans, motorbike track days and a few 'how to's....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfKNYG ... REP05rR1bA
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Replacing upside down fork seals at home with no special tools!

Post by billinom8s »

How do you account for the excess oil quantity inside the cartridges?
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Dan_RR
Learner Driver

Post by Dan_RR »

That's why I said to check the air gap mate, I did not have the exact spec to hand but had the quantity from the service manual. Yes that doesn't account for the small amount in the damper but that's why I said I'm dropping some fluid out now :wink:

This was more to show people how you can do seals yourself IF needed. I have done a lot of sets like this in the past with many miles ridden afterwards and no ill effects.

If any problem with the post feel free to take it down.

Cheers
Link to all my drifting shenanigans, motorbike track days and a few 'how to's....

menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Don't worry Dan you not in trouble.

Most of us mere mortals just ride bikes and the wizardry required to set up suspension we leave well alone and just ring either Billinom8s or Steve from Hel Performance.

If your giving it a go then good on ya but as always being a helpful bunch we (meaning somebody else and not me coz i'm useless) will try and give you some help and advise along the way.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Dan_RR
Learner Driver

Post by Dan_RR »

Thanks Rob,

Think Si is trying to keep me on my toes ;)

I've been in a mechanical role, 4-5 years as a agricultural engineer and the past 8 years as a car mechanic so I am quite happy to attempt any mechanical work, I don't like other people working on my own stuff really, I do however fully admit I am not a suspension set up expert but will be playing around with the forks whilst getting use to my track toy, at the end of the day i'm not racing so don't have anything to loose.

I'm all ears though, more than happy to chat about anything if there is a better/easier way to do something etc.

Cheers

Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Dan_RR wrote: Aug 7th, '20, 20:45 Thanks Rob,

Think Si is trying to keep me on my toes ;)

I've been in a mechanical role, 4-5 years as a agricultural engineer and the past 8 years as a car mechanic so I am quite happy to attempt any mechanical work, I don't like other people working on my own stuff really, I do however fully admit I am not a suspension set up expert but will be playing around with the forks whilst getting use to my track toy, at the end of the day i'm not racing so don't have anything to loose.

I'm all ears though, more than happy to chat about anything if there is a better/easier way to do something etc.

Cheers
Know what you mean. Over 17 years in the motor trade and as long as I can remember tinkering longer than that.
Projects left right and centre whether it be cars bikes or anything else.

But at times there are things I will leave to the gurus that know pretty much forgotten more than I could know.
I definitely agree with the give the anything a go and the basic setup but and you will get it 75% there.

But chasing that last 25% is a true art.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"