Clean your Chain

Look in here for 'How to' guides that have been donated to us...

Moderator: Staff

Dave
Site Admin

Clean your Chain

Post by Dave »

Grumpy Git
Learner Driver

Re: Clean your Chain

Post by Grumpy Git »

Sorry, couldn't help myself have just got to add abit for those who can and do remove their chains.
Th ebest way to clean a chain (and your other half won't like it) is to put a sutably sized cake rack in the bottom of a big sausepan, put your chain on top of it, fill the pan as you would for a chip pan but with ordinary oil like cheep 20/50 or 10/40 (grease is best if you can afford it) ie about 1/3 full but enough to covr the chain, and pop the pan on to the cooker and heat until the oil is simmering (again like cooking chips) turn down the haet and leave the currents in the hot oil or grease to clean the chain and lubricate all the parts chain lube can't get to. Then leave it to cool so all the crap sinks to the bottom and take out your nice clean chain.
You can still get purpose made tins of grease to do this from places that still supply motorcross or trials bikes supplies. :D
simple and very effective. do it every couple of months if you do a lot of riding, or every six months if you dont do that many miles.
[size=200][font=Times New Roman][color=darkblue]Dark and Moody [/size][/font][/color]
[url]http://www.darkandmoody.co.uk[/url]
[size=134][color=darkblue][font=Times New Roman]For Unusual and Gothic Clothing
[b]I dare you [you] to be different![/color] [/font] [/size][/b]
Bondy
Learner Driver

Post by Bondy »

How about a Scotoiler Thay keep your chain clean and lubed. Thay also more than double the life of a chain and sprockets.

Mybe you could do a product reveiw in the new section Dave.
[url]http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/13245-af[/url] For all bearings, belts and tool etc.
Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave »

Scotoiler on a gixxer.

Not for me...

FAO Andrew, you recently fitted a Scotoiler.

Any chance of a review. PM me if you can

Cheers

Post by age »

to keep it clean go out on a wet day like today :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did :lol: :lol: :lol:
[img]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o16/gsxrage/age-sig1.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.phaseone.co.uk[/url]
[url]http://www.wurth.co.uk[/url]

[b][color=red][size=200]I like to get dirty when I do it [/size][/color][/b]

PS3 name lesnage
tafflade
Learner Driver

Post by tafflade »

Grumpy Git wrote:Sorry, couldn't help myself have just got to add abit for those who can and do remove their chains.

snip
admitedly thats best for plain chains but with the advent of oring and xring its a bit unecessary, I havn't seen that style of chain lube since I rode mxers last century where we used split links to make removing the chain easy.

riveting a link is not so easy to get right and is a job that a lot of people shy away from, afterall you could cause a lot of damage to yourself and bike if you get it wrong.
tafflade
Learner Driver

Post by tafflade »

Dave wrote:Scotoiler on a gixxer.

Not for me...

FAO Andrew, you recently fitted a Scotoiler.

Any chance of a review. PM me if you can

Cheers
it is possible to fit a scottoiler in such a way that there is not part of it visible, a lot of swingarms have holes in them that can allow you to run the pipe through it coming out near the sprocket, failing that a good glue can hold it to the underside of the swingarm.

once you get the flowrate set correctly they are ace, I've used old engine oil in one all over the last winter and the chain hasn't needed adjustment once and is looking sparkling clean. I hate to see a chain that has 1/2" of old chainlube plastered on it looks bloomin awfull and the fresh stuff you spray on the top is doing bugger all for the chain
deej
Learner Driver
First Name: Dave

Post by deej »

would never use a scottoiler, not heard that many favourable stories from inside the trade on them.
http://www.averysmotorcycles.co.uk use code SWB10 for discount
tafflade
Learner Driver

Post by tafflade »

deej wrote:would never use a scottoiler, not heard that many favourable stories from inside the trade on them.

why not?

please explain your comments.

the hundreds of thousands of people using them cant all be wrong, unless you know different, a scottoiler full of used engine oil is the easiest and most effective way of keeping your chain lubed if you use your bike regularly.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

deej wrote:would never use a scottoiler, not heard that many favourable stories from inside the trade on them.

I guess you've never used one then :?

In my expereience, once set up properly and working well they do an excellent job 8) If you use the bike everyday, or do serious miles (especially in bad weather), I would say they are indispensable :wink:

If the bike is a "sunny sundays only" or race/trackday bike, then I don't think you would see such a benefit.

On the two bikes I've had where I have done miles both with and without scottoilers, I would estimate the chains lasting a minimum 50% longer with the scottoiler fitted. I have had other bikes with them, but they were either already fitted when I got them, or I did so immediately.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
DynaMight
Learner Driver

Post by DynaMight »

I would never live without one, they literally pay for themselves. It's one of those things that you dont see the point until you've had one then you never look back.
Iggy
Learner Driver

Post by Iggy »

agreed, i bought one mainly because i kept forgetting to oil my chain, then when i did, the can said leave it for 30mins so reduce fling, so id do it at the end of the day when i wouldnt ride again, and the next morning still get it all over the rims and tyres, so i bought one and its the absolute bees knees, once its setup to your riding style then it doesnt spray everywhere and you can forget about it for several weeks, my chain has never been un lubed thoroughly since fitting it 20months ago when i bought the bike, since then ive gone through 2 500ml bottles of scott oiler lube, i used to get through a 500ml can in 2 months when i had my first bike and did all the daily checks, as you do when your new to riding, ive put mine in the best spot in the world, if we could do attachments id put up a pic, basically, its tucked in the area on the swingarm where the shock goes, theres plenty of space so no chance of hitting the shock, used silicone to bond it to the frame, been there for 20months, shows no signs of coming lose
PeterM
Learner Driver

Post by PeterM »

Chain???

What the hell is one of those

Peter
http://www.Hotsunsets.com

http://www.BritSToc.com
deej
Learner Driver
First Name: Dave

Post by deej »

TLS-Moose wrote:

I guess you've never used one then :?
quote]

nope and i never will. dont do enough miles to warrant one and after what ive heard from behind the mechanics walls i wouldnt bother with one now.
http://www.averysmotorcycles.co.uk use code SWB10 for discount
VTR
Learner Driver

Post by VTR »

deej wrote:after what ive heard from behind the mechanics walls i wouldnt bother with one now.
I haven't used one either, however I'd be interested to know the info that you have been given/told by mechanics that appears to have lead you to the conclusion that they are not a good idea, as I would have thought a steady flow of oil/lubricant onto a chain would be a good thing for a drive chain.

The only thing I can think of is that because a scottoiler will (logically) prolong the life of a drive chain that the mechanics don't get as much work replacing them & so there's not as much revenue for the dealer to pay the mechanics wages/bonus.