Suspension Set-Up

Look in here for 'How to' guides that have been donated to us...

Moderator: Staff

boyscout
Learner Driver

Suspension Set-Up

Post by boyscout »

I have been asked to post a guide to setting up suspension, so here it is...

SETTING UP

PLEASE BE WARNED THAT YOU NEED TO HAVE GOOD TYRES, CORRECTLY INFLATED.
START WITH ALL SETTINGS ON STANDARD AT THE REAR AND SOFT AT THE FRONT!
MOST ADJUSTERS ARE SOFT WHEN SCREWED OUT AND HARD WHEN SCREWED IN.
CHOOSE A TWISTY, QUICK TEST ROUTE WITH LOTS OF VARIETY IN THE BENDS. MAKE ONE ADUSTMENT AFTER EACH PASS. BE CAREFUL? YOU WILL BE MAKING THE BIKE HANDLE DIFFERENTLY TO THE WAY YOU ARE USED TO.
ADJUST IN THIS ORDER. WHEN YOU GET TO THE END OF THE LIST START AGAIN WITH FRONT PRE-LOAD AND WORK BACK THROUGH, REPEAT UNTIL YOU RUN THROUGH WITHOUT MAKING A CHANGE.

REAR PRE-LOAD

This is the big ring on the rear shock spring.
Set static sag to just nil unladen and 30-35mm withrider on board.

FRONT ? Do The Same To Both Fork Legs

Preload:
This is generally the 15mm flats on the top of the fork leg
(if you don?t have it you can use spacers on top of the fork springs)
Increase from soft just enough to prevent bottoming out.

Rebound:
This is the adjuster on the top of the fork leg.
(If you don?t have it you can increase the weight of your fork oil, but this will also increase compression)
Increase from soft to prevent patter in the bends.

Compression:
This is the adjuster on the bottom of the fork leg.
(If you don?t have it you can increase the weight of your fork oil, but this will also increase rebound)
Increase from soft to prevent brake dive, until judder into bends on the brakes, then back off to prevent the judder.

Spring Rate:
If your forks are far too soft or too hard then you can soften or harden them by dropping or increasing the level of the fork oil. ? Try 5mm increments, b but be warned there is a limit at which the forks will suddenly either lose all damping at the soft end or lock up totally at the hard end.

REAR

Rebound:
This is generally the adjuster on the bottom of the shock.
Increase from soft to prevent wallow in fast bends and the rear rising under heavy braking.

Compression:
This is generally the adjuster on the shock top or remote bottle
Increase from soft until drive out of bends improves. (Too little gives too much squat, too much gives less grip).
DynaMight
Learner Driver

Post by DynaMight »

boyscout
Learner Driver

Re: Suspension Set-Up

Post by boyscout »

You're right DM, they are very good guides. As I said, I was asked to post my home-brewed guide... I wouldn't normally have had the arrogance to do so!
I wrote the above in about 1994 when sportsbikes were really starting to get serious. At that time I was running a bike club for squaddies with about 120 members, and it seemed that about half of them crashed every weekend!.
Therefore, it is supposed to be idiot proof (but idiots are so damned inventive don't you find!!?)... and certainly is a road riders guide up to the occasional trackday only - deffo not good enough for short-circuit racers. Mind you for a many riders on a long public roads circuit, (Isle of Man or Nordschleife) it's still probably pretty good.
I haven't mentioned trail, pro-squat, tyre profile, or really much about ride-height... generally because for road bikes on public roads there are limited adjustments and limited benefits to be had, at the danger of confusing many and boring all.
But you're definitely right, if your fast enough and technical enough then you should check out DMs links.

Two long posts from me... I'm beginning to worry about taking the mickey out of Furry! :oops:
Webber
Learner Driver

Re: Suspension Set-Up

Post by Webber »

any body need any help, please feel free to pm me.
Sponsored by: Peak Performance, G.B Webber, RGT Controlled Demolition, Ratmally.co.uk.
RAWRacing.co.uk

[img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/mrtinowebs/business_card_image_text_medium-1.jpg[/img]