Helmet guidance

Look in here for 'How to' guides that have been donated to us...

Moderator: Staff

VTR
Learner Driver

Helmet guidance

Post by VTR »

Came across this & thought it might be of use to people when looking at buying a new helmet, especially for those new to biking.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/helmet-guidance/best-fit/
bambam
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jon

Post by bambam »

useful site for newbies as u say.
doesn't say anything about avoiding getting stone chips on ur nice spangly lid tho :evil: :evil: :evil:
AndyW
Learner Driver

Re: Helmet guidance

Post by AndyW »

VTR wrote:Came across this & thought it might be of use to people when looking at buying a new helmet, especially for those new to biking.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/helmet-guidance/best-fit/
....and:
http://www.motorcycle-training.f2s.com/ ... tml#Helmet

And this is pretty good....

John Wakefield the Managing director of Phoenix distribution, the leading importers of Arai helmets into the UK explains how to fit a helmet properly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KytJa4i96v4
www.MotorcycleInfo.co.uk
Motorcycle Info Pages
bambam
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jon

Post by bambam »

that first helmet looks very familiar 8) 8) 8)
that would look good if u were riding a british bike :D :D :D
Slider
Learner Driver

Post by Slider »

Slightly off topic but is it still the case even with modern helmets that if you have an accident wearing one, the helmet should be binned. I got a brand new HJC carbon with slide damage, just wondering if I should ever use it again?
Cheers, Steve

Ex-ZX9R rider, ex-CCM 604RS now Benelli Tornado TRE and GS1150 ADV (so far so good)
dougal_999

Post by dougal_999 »

You can get them x-rayed to check for damage inside, have to admit I'm not entirely sure where though. Maybe contact the manufacturer? And I think you can get it done at some meets and track days, don't quote me on that though.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

slider wrote:Slightly off topic but is it still the case even with modern helmets that if you have an accident wearing one, the helmet should be binned. I got a brand new HJC carbon with slide damage, just wondering if I should ever use it again?

To be honest, it's always a question for raising arguments ..... :roll:

Generally, if it's taken an impact, it's best to consign it to the back of the cupboard under the stairs ...... the issue is not (just) the visible damage, but the crushing of the internal padding, which does not recover ... so the next time you hit the road and your head gets squashed into the liner, there is less to compress and soften the impact :wink:

There again there are others who ride with old Kangol p*ss-pot lids with no liners, so you pay your money and take your choice.

My point would be, if you have to question whether it's OK, then it probably isn't :?:
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Blue
Learner Driver
Location: Honiton--Rides : Honda Firestorm - too fast passed speed cameras

Post by Blue »

This is the side of my AGV helmet after I came off at 15-20 mph but my head hit the road hard enough to give me a bruise the shape of the visor mount in the side of my head. The scratches on the side are quite deep. :shock:

Sorry can't seem to get the image any smaller on PB. The helmet did its job but has now been replaced cos I think the lining would now have been compressed so wont work so well next time. Also it was a great excuse to buy a shiney new helmet at the bike show :lol:
[b]Apparently I'm supposed to care!![/b]

[i] If it's love at first sight, Take a good long second look !! [/i]