Engine mount bolt - STUCK!

Look in here for 'How to' guides that have been donated to us...

Moderator: Staff

samZxR
Learner Driver

Engine mount bolt - STUCK!

Post by samZxR »

hello peeps! :)
bare with me a sec... I've got a couple of problems going on with the bike atm; not major but annoying. The first problem is I recently bought some crash bobbins! As I went to fit them on, right hand side engine mount bolt came out nice & easy however, the left hand side bolt didn't wanna move easily, so i tried harder and... IT MOVED!!! only a little bit though... and then it went tight again as if I was tightening the bolt!! :? looking through the forums etc i realised something. A guy on some forum had the same problem-ish. He lowsided his bike on the right hand side, which he thinks it caused the left hand side engine mount bolt to do the same thing! My bike has been dropped on the right hand side which is worrying! :? so I thought I'd ask you peeps & see if you got any idea if this means something bad? and also looking for tips on gettin that frigging bolt out!
thanks!! :wink:
Sam
Keep the shiny side up, and the rubber down! :)
Funky
Learner Driver
First Name: Aaron

Re: Engine mount bolt - STUCK!

Post by Funky »

I have w hammer driver somewhere, you're welcome to use it. I'll look for it today.
samZxR
Learner Driver

Post by samZxR »

Funky wrote:I have w hammer driver somewhere, you're welcome to use it. I'll look for it today.
cheers funky! you reckon it would undo it? cos the bolthead is nearly rounded off cos of the last owner seems like he had a go aswell!
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

losen the rest of the engine mounting bolts and then start the bike up, u may find it shifts into place itself and then becomes easy to undo. not wishing to sound stupid, have you undone the engine mount clamp bolt that holds the engine mount bolt in place ?

failing that, liberal amounts of wd40 for a couple of days will help. or bring it down to mine :D
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
samZxR
Learner Driver

Post by samZxR »

billinom8s wrote:losen the rest of the engine mounting bolts and then start the bike up, u may find it shifts into place itself and then becomes easy to undo. not wishing to sound stupid, have you undone the engine mount clamp bolt that holds the engine mount bolt in place ?

failing that, liberal amounts of wd40 for a couple of days will help. or bring it down to mine :D
yeh i've undone the clamp fully lol! about loosening the bolts; thats what the guys said on the r6ers forum however I really dont have the time to get all the fairings off and fiddle with bolts but i'll do my best to try & do what you said next week. btw I've already tried the wd40 but no luck either...
ps sorry if this sounds stupid but obv u need a jack to lift the weight of the engine when loosening the bolts right? hows the setup of the bike's gonna be like? ie paddock stands? would I need both front and back or just the back would do? ....as you can tell, its my first time playing with the engine & the frame...!! :mrgreen:
thanks for your help so far si! :wink:
DaveMcR1
Learner Driver

Post by DaveMcR1 »

Have you tried tightening it up again? Sometimes you need to tighten & loosen several times with copious amounts of said WD40.
samZxR
Learner Driver

Post by samZxR »

DaveMcR1 wrote:Have you tried tightening it up again? Sometimes you need to tighten & loosen several times with copious amounts of said WD40.
Tried that but no luck! WD40 isnt doing much cos theres no where it can go through to the thread im guessing...
Funky
Learner Driver
First Name: Aaron

Post by Funky »

WD40 will soak in. I'll take a look tonight to see if I have my impact driver with me, if I do, bring it over at the weekend and we'll try to whack it out.
Rsv4Col
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Colin

Post by Rsv4Col »

Mate i will be home saturday afternoon bring ya bike up and i will have a look for you :D
Now riding a Tuono V4 1100 😀
samZxR
Learner Driver

Post by samZxR »

been told not use impact driver with cos the bolt might of been bent? so i dont really wanna strip the threads etc :/
colin i'll finish work at 8 2moro so i dunno if ya'll be free by then??
Rsv4Col
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Colin

Post by Rsv4Col »

Home all day so come on up
Now riding a Tuono V4 1100 😀
DanFZSnightrider
First Name: Daniel

Post by DanFZSnightrider »

I know when i have a seized bolt i spray it with release it spray then use a spanner (NOT A OPEN ENDER) and i look for the longest pipe that the spanner will just go into. then put the spanner on the bolt and pipe on the spanner and give that a try, method of madness is the longer the leverage the less force required to do the job. but try to get someone to replace the spanner while you move the pipe.