How to.. Register an imported bike/frame

Look in here for 'How to' guides that have been donated to us...

Moderator: Staff

Primate
Learner Driver
First Name: Tony

How to.. Register an imported bike/frame

Post by Primate »

Hi all

Sorry Mods if this is in the wrong category.

I'm looking at building my first bike using a Suzuki GL1000s frame for the main body.
I have found a frame but it has been imported from Greece and comes with no documents and no reg number.
Apparently in order to register the bike/frame I need a dating letter from the Suzuki Owners Club and then go through DVLA to finalise registering.

Is this true & has anyone done this before?? I don't want to buy the frame, build the bike and then find out I can't register the bloody thing!

Cheers!
Primate
Learner Driver

Re: How to.. Register an imported bike/frame

Post by Primate »

Not to worry.... I've bought this instead...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160977725098? ... 1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

let the build begin :D
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

have A good look at how they've chopped the frame off behind the swingarm pivot and make sure they've done a decent job ...... There's not a huge amount of metal there, and on the left hand side at least its slightly crushed to improve chain clearance, so when the frame is cut it really needs boxing back out and extra welds/gussets added :wink:
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Primate
Learner Driver

Post by Primate »

Thanks Moose! I'll take it down to Andy at AWS in Bridport when it arrives for a check up before I touch it, as I can return it if it's no good. Should be here friday :D
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

We have a guy in the RD club that can do dating letters for Jap bikes , but he says it maybe soon that dating letters will not be accepted from clubs etc , they will have to come from the manafacturer, so if anyone has a bike that needs dating /registration get in quick,

http://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?board=42.0
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson