Imported bikes

Look in here for 'How to' guides that have been donated to us...

Moderator: Staff

Tangoman
Learner Driver

Imported bikes

Post by Tangoman »

Anyone know how to tell if a bike has been imported or not. I have a ZX400 C" Kawasaki, from what I have found out it is a UK model but a lot of the insurance companies have it as a Grey import. help
Atomic
Learner Driver
First Name: Tom

Re: Imported bikes

Post by Atomic »

If you have the V5 document it will state ' Date of first registration' & ' Date of first registration in the UK' - they are usually (but not always) a good indication. Also on the front page section 3 Special Notes - it will normally be stated there. For example my little 400 which I would say is a definite import states under this section ' Declared new at first registration' so it is classed as an UK bike.

As you are trying to insure the bike you may not yet have the V5 back from the DVLA, the best place to ask is '400greybike.com' - they have a website( or for a quicker response use their Facebook page). They will know the difference between the models.
Tangoman
Learner Driver

Post by Tangoman »

Thanks for that I do have the V5 and it is as you say date of registration and when registered in UK, which shows my bike as a uk model. Also confirms it in section 3.
Once again thank, I can no shove that at the insurance companies
Atomic
Learner Driver
First Name: Tom

Post by Atomic »

It may not prove that it is an UK bike, but it may satisfy the insurance.
My one does appear to be UK, but I am pretty sure it is not. I am led to believe a number of these 400's came via the Netherlands and the like as new bikes before they were registered here. Not sure if it was for tax purposes or what.

Incidentally, is your clock MPH as the main read out or is it KPH. Mine is KPH which seems to confirm my theory about other European countries importing it first. I think if it is a true UK bike the manufacturer had to fit it with MPH clocks before sale. - I may be wrong.
Tangoman
Learner Driver

Post by Tangoman »

Think it's Mph, but will check later