Organising a rideout...

Look in here for local ride outs...

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
You are of course welcome along to any Southwestbikers rideout, however your bike must be in good mechanical order (we don’t want anything falling off of it including you), taxed and have a current MOT. You must have a valid motorcycle licence and current motor insurance. You are in charge of your motorcycle at all times and SWB will not accept any responsibility for actions you take or any accidents you may have. Always ride within your own capabilities and do not put others at risk. Remember, while you are on a Southwestbikers rideout you are representing the site and what it stands for.
Thank-you.

Don't forget......ANYONE can organise and run a rideout.
Types of rideouts - viewtopic.php?f=94&t=89587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Organising a rideout...

Post by Smiler »

...needn't be a massive deal! :ymhug:

After such good feedback from the Friendly Ride at the weekend, it occurred to me that with so many new people joining SWB lately, maybe new members thought that only 'formal' SWB rides can be posted ~ NO!!! With the best will in the world, we all have quite different work and family commitments, let alone our locations right across the SouthWest, that mean organising a ride will only ever suit some :erm:

So...over to you! :)):

ANYONE can post up a ride!! It doesnt neccessarily have to be planned months in advance (although with more notice, your chances of more people joining you are greatly improved!) and lets face it, with the UK weather even the best laid plans can go askew :roll:

As for route, again it neednt be Googlemapped to the very last detail but if that helps, do it! Use the PM function to keep contact details off the forum if you prefer

Admin have put together a little guide regarding rides..

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=89587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not trying to teach folk to suck eggs here, just encourage more rideouts in your own areas and further afield :)): As YOUR Rideout Ringleader (.....who the heck thought that one up?? lol) I'm happy to help ~ just ask!
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand
Dailaughing
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Re: Organising a rideout...

Post by Dailaughing »

How about a sort of "junior series". I'm hoping to join a few rideouts once I have the basics sorted again (OK once my body has accepted riding a bike again) but I also have a daughter on a slow 125 who would love to ride with others but would struggle to maintain 55+ on the faster roads. I know the rideouts allow for that but maybe a less worrying, easy way in to rideouts?

We (the two of us) are on our way out today but maybe a few peers plus patient oldsters would be good.

The only other thing I was thinking is that maybe people could put the area into the subject line to save people looking unless it was local to them.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

the rideout destination is pretty much down to the organiser of the ride, so is the pace.

if you wanted to do one that went 20 miles from your home and back, or even down to the local cafe and back and wasn't going to top 40 mph, then you can. we really don't mind.

out of interest, where is your area? it doesn't say on your profile to the right of your posts :)):

if a friendly ride is in your area, they are only lead at posted speed limits, have junction markers on every bend and a TAIL ENDER who is at the back all day. so it doesn't matter your pace as the name of the game on the day is to all get home and have a good time.

bringing on newer riders, teaching them lines through corners, riding in groups, looking out for the other bikes in your group, road observations etc. all the stuff the instructors don't teach you when you are on the bike test production line.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Post by Smiler »

Always nice to have input from others when it comes to rideouts....thank you!

Its a difficult one sometimes to know what people want from a ride tbh, so any ideas that encourage some of our newer or younger riders is very welcome :ymhug:

A 125 or new rider ride? Great idea!
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand
Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Mr Tuscan »

Great read and i one day will organise a ride from Weston area towards Chedder as a start.
I’ll be a brand new rider going onto a bigger bike so I have lots to learn and ill be happy to have new riders with me.
Use your awareness of others lack of ability to focus your own!

Shooey
Learner Driver
First Name: Paul

Post by Shooey »

Smiler wrote: Mar 6th, '13, 19:27 ...needn't be a massive deal! :ymhug:

After such good feedback from the Friendly Ride at the weekend, it occurred to me that with so many new people joining SWB lately, maybe new members thought that only 'formal' SWB rides can be posted ~ NO!!! With the best will in the world, we all have quite different work and family commitments, let alone our locations right across the SouthWest, that mean organising a ride will only ever suit some :erm:

So...over to you! :)):

ANYONE can post up a ride!! It doesnt neccessarily have to be planned months in advance (although with more notice, your chances of more people joining you are greatly improved!) and lets face it, with the UK weather even the best laid plans can go askew :roll:

As for route, again it neednt be Googlemapped to the very last detail but if that helps, do it! Use the PM function to keep contact details off the forum if you prefer

Admin have put together a little guide regarding rides..

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=89587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not trying to teach folk to suck eggs here, just encourage more rideouts in your own areas and further afield :)): As YOUR Rideout Ringleader (.....who the heck thought that one up?? lol) I'm happy to help ~ just ask!
Nicely said. The more the better!
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Smiler great post and with recent positive numbers on rides it seems great timing.

Just would also like to add that not only is running your own ride great as you get to ride where YOU want and at the speed YOU want, but for organising a ride the forum will reward you 500 forum points for arranging. And yes you guessed it points make prizes. (T-shirts and Hoddies and stuff :-bd
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Also, don't forget to check the dates of these posts.

This thread is 6 years old, still useful though.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.