Fancy France in May

Look in here for local ride outs...

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
You are of course welcome along to any Southwestbikers rideout, however your bike must be in good mechanical order (we don’t want anything falling off of it including you), taxed and have a current MOT. You must have a valid motorcycle licence and current motor insurance. You are in charge of your motorcycle at all times and SWB will not accept any responsibility for actions you take or any accidents you may have. Always ride within your own capabilities and do not put others at risk. Remember, while you are on a Southwestbikers rideout you are representing the site and what it stands for.
Thank-you.

Don't forget......ANYONE can organise and run a rideout.
Types of rideouts - viewtopic.php?f=94&t=89587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kata
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Fancy France in May

Post by Kata »

I'm off to France in May via Brittany Ferries. Looking to go down South at a leisurely rate as taking a pillion. Also, Im definitely NOT camping as it always rains when i even think about it.

Anyway, if other peeps would like to come along too give me a shout.
graham22
Learner Driver

Re: Fancy France in May

Post by graham22 »

If you're heading down the West coast, look at the D785 from Morlaix to Quimper - nice start to the journey, like Dartmoor without speed limits & with sunshine. Cuts off the corner somewhat too.

Even worth a detour if coming back early, head to Brest at Rennes & pick up the D785 again.

Have fun, can't make it in May but will do something later in year.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Kata - are you inviting us to share in your holiday or just the commute to where you're going?
Eitherway I'd like more details please.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Kata
Learner Driver

Post by Kata »

graham22 wrote: Feb 7th, '18, 09:55 If you're heading down the West coast, look at the D785 from Morlaix to Quimper - nice start to the journey, like Dartmoor without speed limits & with sunshine. Cuts off the corner somewhat too.

Even worth a detour if coming back early, head to Brest at Rennes & pick up the D785 again.

Have fun, can't make it in May but will do something later in year.
Cheers for the info. Will add it to the list of places to look at for the trip.
Kata
Learner Driver

Post by Kata »

Jug_Inspector wrote: Feb 7th, '18, 10:16 Kata - are you inviting us to share in your holiday or just the commute to where you're going?
Eitherway I'd like more details please.
Share holiday - all or part. Im easy really. :-)

I havnt yet got a route or accommodation sorted but plan to get a route sorted by the end of the month then start booking hotels. Been wanting to get to that sodding big bridge down south of france for a while. Also stopping at Tours as the food is lovely.

Open to ideas.

Pm if interested.

Cheers
John
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

What dates Kata?
Running on MT
Kata
Learner Driver

Post by Kata »

Hiya Goatie,

Sorry missed your post. You off to Scotland instead then? PM if you're still interested or wana have a chat about the route.

Cheers
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Promoted on SWB Facebook page let’s see if we can generate some more interest. :D :)] :-bd
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Kata
Learner Driver

Post by Kata »

FB page? Nah, id rather not put it in FB and advertise when I'm not at home to everybody...
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Kata wrote: Mar 27th, '18, 22:46 FB page? Nah, id rather not put it in FB and advertise when I'm not at home to everybody...
Sorry wasn’t clear I have promoted this link on the South West Bikers Facebook page to try and get more interest for you. There are over 900 follows of the page so let’s see if it helps get some interest.
FB689C7F-72D5-4AC2-B15B-E6A274001BBE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Kata
Learner Driver

Post by Kata »

My route. Well roughtly via google anyway.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Ouist ... 276656!3e0
Fozz
Learner Driver
First Name: Colin

Post by Fozz »

Nice,we visited Carcassonne last year.Flew into Bezier and picked up a hire car.
Kata
Learner Driver

Post by Kata »

Fozz wrote: May 3rd, '18, 17:51 Nice,we visited Carcassonne last year.Flew into Bezier and picked up a hire car.
Any hints about best places to visit/eat (or to avoid?)

Cheers
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

May I suggest you revisit your route?

Well, it's your choice of course, but firstly I'd avoid the autoroutes if you "want to see France", and if you really want to use them then consider going down via the A75 "Meridienne" ....... Choosing the A20/A62 instead is like choosing the M4 from Swindon to Bristol over the A39 Atlantic Coast highway ....... Plus you get to go over the Millau ..... And the Autoroute from there to the med (at Beziers) is simply stupendous (as is most of the bit before).

Otherwise, Carcassonne is a stunning place. Find somewhere in the old city (citadelle) if you can. Can't recommend anywhere as we stayed in a village about 20 miles south.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

On your route, cut across to Montlucon from Chateauroux ....

We went down via the Meridienne and returned via the A20 ...... And the A20 is flat and boring in comparison. The Meridienne is mostly dual carriageway and quite twisty along with decent elevation changes (think A38 from Trago to Ivy bridge vs M5 from Taunton to Weston) and because of that a lot of lorries don't use it.

Oh, and have a great time! You've picked some of the best parts of the country to go through, and perhaps the best placed (in my opinion) to stay. 45 mins to the med, 1hr to the Pyrenees, yet still beautiful itself and with a great climate ......
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away