Dorset Ride Sunday 20th May

Look in here for local ride outs...

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
You are of course welcome along to any Southwestbikers rideout, however your bike must be in good mechanical order (we don’t want anything falling off of it including you), taxed and have a current MOT. You must have a valid motorcycle licence and current motor insurance. You are in charge of your motorcycle at all times and SWB will not accept any responsibility for actions you take or any accidents you may have. Always ride within your own capabilities and do not put others at risk. Remember, while you are on a Southwestbikers rideout you are representing the site and what it stands for.
Thank-you.

Don't forget......ANYONE can organise and run a rideout.
Types of rideouts - viewtopic.php?f=94&t=89587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gimlet
Learner Driver
First Name: Jim

Dorset Ride Sunday 20th May

Post by Gimlet »

Right then, Sunday the 20th it is. If it doesn't rain...
A mixture of fast flowing and tight and nadgery through Dorset, with a little bit of Wiltshire thrown in, down to the Purbecks, through Dorchester and a back road northern route to finish at West Bay. I'm going to avoid the Bridport/Weymouth coast road. Its lovely but one for evenings and early mornings really. On a Sunday afternoon in May it will be rammed with tin boxes and wobbly Harley riders and probably the odd speed trap. There will be tea, coffee, cake for Smiler, chips and more cake etc en-route.
No Google maps because I hate it with a vengeance and can never get it to work, so briefly, the route is as follows:

8:00 meet at Tesco fuel, Axminster. Opposite Axminster tools, next to railway station (don't go to the main store over the road as there is no fuel station there). Fuel up and leave by 8:30.

Set out via windy route through Marshwood Vale to Broadwindsor, then a familiar road to most but it's a good un: through the tunnel to Mosterton and a good rip down the full length of Tollerdown Road towards Dorchester. Up Smiler's favourite road to Sherborne then a wriggly route to Shaftesbury for a fuel stop then a little loop through the Chalk Vallley and up Zig-Zag hill to Compton Abbas airfield for tea and cake etc.

Winding route through Cranborne Chase via Blandford and Morden to Wareham and the Purbecks for lunch at Lulworth Cove. Swanage is an alternative depending on traffic.
Dorchester, with another fuel stop en-route, north over Giant's Head and across country for a back road blast down into Bridport and West bay for a seaside fix of tea, fag smoke and chip vinegar. Lovely.

Approximately 230 miles, should be in West Bay about 3:30ish.

Pace will be semi-spirited. No track day heroics or maxing out and I'll try not to let the group get strung out. On quiet junctions we'll pause to regroup if necessary. We will be making lively progress though, traffic and conditions permitting, and enjoying any empty space and wheelie popping bumps etc we can find, so 400cc and above only.
System will be drop-off (I'll lead and point to the where a marker is required and the second-placed rider stops to mark and rejoins at the back of the pack when TEC comes into view - and not before...!) Thanks to Robbo87 for volunteering to do the TEC honours. If you could wear your pink leathers for this one Phil (not the ones with the tassels) so we can see you in the mirror, that would be handy.
Traffic can be heavy in the Purbecks, but its a nice spot with some nice little nadgery sections, so we'll hope for the best and if we do get caught by NIssan Micra man we'll just have to kick back and enjoy the scenery for a few miles till we get back on it again.

Needs to be dry for this one or some of the sections can get a rather dirty, so weather-dependent. Fingers crossed.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
KTM 1190 Adventure
chr1s
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Re: Dorset Ride Sunday 20th May

Post by chr1s »

Awesome Jim...will be getting home from 2 weeks working in the US on the 19th so this is something to look forward too!
r1dave
Learner Driver
First Name: dave

Post by r1dave »

sounds good
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

Cheers Simon. Operating in west Dorset on our day. We will be careful.

Of course our speed will not be "excessive" and never "inappropriate".
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
spear
Learner Driver
First Name: spear

Post by spear »

Thanks Gimlet, I have this on my back burner now! and would love to come along and I will do my best as I have a family event on the 19th and of course it's my busy time of year. If any one else coming up from Cornwall may be a B&B would be a good idea???
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

spear wrote: May 5th, '18, 06:36 If any one else coming up from Cornwall may be a B&B would be a good idea???
Its not that far..! I made it from Blandford to Lands End for the RTTB year before last and got home in time or tea and hypothermia. Mind you, I did set out t 1:00 am..

You're more than welcome if you can make it.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
spear
Learner Driver

Post by spear »

Just had a quick look and hour and a half away so a lot closer then I thought and a nice time of year to set off early, I worked all day today so doing all I can to make it. cheers.
bkingalan
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Alan

Post by bkingalan »

Like the look of this Jim hope to tag along got a 60th b/party on the sat may have to sneak from that a bit early 😎😎😎😎
MV 1000 brutale rs
MV 800 turismo veloce luso
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

Good to have you along Alan. Hope you get positive news soon on the Duke. In the meantime I guess the good old 1400 gets an airing.

Its a bit earlier a start than the friendly rides usually are but I'd like to get to Compton Abbas by 10:00 am really before there's too much traffic about.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

Count me in Jim. Thanks to the luminous pink leathers fetching a good price on Fleabay I'll have to wear me hi-viz for TEC duties.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
spear
Learner Driver

Post by spear »

Sorry Gimlet, I have way to much on my plate to make this ride out, cheers spear.
Fozz
Learner Driver
First Name: Colin

Post by Fozz »

If all goes to plan can meet up with you at the airfield,so is 10am your ETA?
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

spear wrote: May 13th, '18, 19:26 Sorry Gimlet, I have way to much on my plate to make this ride out, cheers spear.
No worries Spear. Catch you next time.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

Fozz wrote: May 14th, '18, 06:39 If all goes to plan can meet up with you at the airfield,so is 10am your ETA?
More like 10:45/11:00. I know I said 10:00 earlier but I've changed the route slightly since because of grit and I rode the whole route and timed it on Saturday and it's closer to 11:00.

We will be passing through Shaftesbury at about 9:45 but we're heading up the A 350 then taking a loop through the Chalk Valley and a fuel stop before coming back round the A30 and up Zig-Zag to the airfield. Bit of a late stop
If you wanted to join before that we could pick you up at Ivy Cross roundabout, Shaftesbury at around 9:45. I'd planned to stop for fuel at Barford St. Martin. We could stop at Ivy Cross but that will push the next fuel stop to over 120 miles. But we could pull in by Ivy Cross KFC and pick you up.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure