Dorset Ride Sunday 20th May

Look in here for local ride outs...

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
You are of course welcome along to any Southwestbikers rideout, however your bike must be in good mechanical order (we don’t want anything falling off of it including you), taxed and have a current MOT. You must have a valid motorcycle licence and current motor insurance. You are in charge of your motorcycle at all times and SWB will not accept any responsibility for actions you take or any accidents you may have. Always ride within your own capabilities and do not put others at risk. Remember, while you are on a Southwestbikers rideout you are representing the site and what it stands for.
Thank-you.

Don't forget......ANYONE can organise and run a rideout.
Types of rideouts - viewtopic.php?f=94&t=89587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gimlet
Learner Driver
First Name: Jim

Re: Dorset Ride Sunday 20th May

Post by Gimlet »

Sorry we kept you waiting and apologies to Fozz. We were a little late getting to the airfield, probably because I never timed fuel stops when I rode it. Hope the rest of the ride made up for it. One of us could have posted a heads up on the forum when we stopped for fuel but not having a smart phone I didn't think of it. My fault.

Good to see you back out and about again Andy. Love the bike (mine was that shiny once..). Hope things work out better for you this year and you get some time in the saddle.

Thanks everyone for turning out and making a great day of it. All that fusss about traffic jams in the Purbecks and we end up stuck behind a load of bikes, albeit antique bangers. :-??
Great company, cake, chips, caffeine and lots of lovely hydrocarbons. Perfect. :D
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
KTM 1190 Adventure
chr1s
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by chr1s »

Yep thanks everyone for a great day and Phil for tec duty...... Jim you did a grand job, thank you.....your knowledge of the route was awesome...should work for Garmin lol.
AndyW
Learner Driver

Post by AndyW »

Talking of Garmin mine went nuts on the way home.....every round-about was telling me to take the sixth exit....not one of 'em had 6 exits! #effinweird

Thanks Jim, yeah fingers crossed....hopefully catch up with you again soon.
www.MotorcycleInfo.co.uk
Motorcycle Info Pages
bkingalan
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Alan

Post by bkingalan »

Great ride Jim lived around the area all my & never been on a lot of those roads
The fut & Phil did a great job of tec good to meet Andy & Chris for the first time & the cake lady again 😜😜😜
Just checked Jim henstridge is this week not next week πŸ‘πŸ‘
MV 1000 brutale rs
MV 800 turismo veloce luso
bkingalan
SWB Subscriber

Post by bkingalan »

Great ride Jim lived around the area all my life & never been on a lot of those roads
The fut & Phil did a great job of tec good to meet Andy & Chris for the first time & the cake lady again 😜😜😜
Just checked Jim henstridge is this week not next week πŸ‘πŸ‘
MV 1000 brutale rs
bkingalan
SWB Subscriber

Post by bkingalan »

Enjoyed it so much I posted twice πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
MV 1000 brutale rs
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

Yes, thanks Phil for the TEC services. An under-rated but vital job executed perfectly. We'll do it again when the boingy bits are working again on the Fut. Sorry about the bumps.. x_x
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Just a small update on the small starter issues I had.
It was in no way the bikes fault, KTM's do attract negativity with regards to reliability but just the clear the record it was my fault. :oops:

Been out to test the clutch switch and it is working fine, it's my ebay special clutch lever that isn't activating the switch properly. :roll:
Should have guessed really as when I first installed the levers last year the brake one didn't work the brake light switch properly and so left it on constantly. I picked up on that one pretty quickly though and modified it.
Will have to do something similar to the clutch lever now, and then all will be fine again, until the next thing breaks... :mrgreen:
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

Common problem with aftermarket levers.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

Jug_Inspector wrote: ↑May 21st, '18, 09:26
Will have to do something similar to the clutch lever now, and then all will be fine again, until the next thing breaks... :mrgreen:
My money's on water pump gasket, headstock bearings or clutch slave. All easy fixes but these are common areas where KTM like to keep you on your toes.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Water pump shaft seal failed pretty soon after buying the bike. Started losing water into my oil but caught it quickly.
I was expecting that though as it's a known issue with the 990 LC8's at a certain mileage, changed it myself and should now be safe for another 15k miles.

My money is on the clutch slave next as I still have the original on there.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Post by Smiler »

Sorry for late race..er I mean RIDE report! My battery ran flat last night (me, not the bike :)): )

Wow, what a ride out yesterday was! Firstly a massive thank you to Gimlet for organising it....I am totally impressed you not only know all these fab roads but can do a ride this length without a Satnag for assistance :mrgreen:

Some of the roads we did yesterday were just fab, taking in parts of Dorset I never even knew existed. A smallish group setting out bright and early from Axminster and winding our way around avoiding main routes as much as possible, the ickle Hornet performed well all day ....economical thing too, a certain SD proved a thirsty in comparision!!! :)): A good mix of bikes, great company and some of the most beautiful Dorset scenery in wall to wall sunshine made for quite the perfect day ~ thanks all! :ymhug:

Smiler :)):
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Post by Smiler »

90AAF1D4-4EF0-438A-95DA-2F28E9C418E1.jpeg
63A6FD65-ECEB-4E80-8F75-280B9EB158BF.jpeg
3772EDAF-3591-42AF-BBB2-1A7372F8D8E1.jpeg
48E1767B-B11A-4539-B41C-A11DC75A637B.jpeg
9C70D7D1-6210-4D48-A9E3-45812C000E4D.jpeg
F67A8CEE-45E9-4C18-B9B7-9894433EF194.jpeg
24E09E82-E739-4141-ACE3-6ADE53F1CD47.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Post by Smiler »

Oohhh forgot to mention.....and there was cake! πŸ˜‹
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

That bloody airfield.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.