Lynmouth ?

Look in here for all other biking events and biker friendly places...

Moderator: Staff

Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Lynmouth ?

Post by Mr Tuscan »

Anyone fancy organising a run to Lynmouth from Bridgwater/Weston ? Or some other similar start point?There are a few rides appearing now but rather far from me and a lot of riding involved, Ive heard of a few going to Lynmouth in the past and that would equate to around four hours riding from my house which would be doable if broken up, I’d like to concentrate on riding rather than organising anything as I’m still a noob at riding.

I’m available most days at the moment as I’m still on furlough, three or four riders I think would sound great, I can meet in Weston, Burnham or even Bridgewater, If it floats anyone’s boat then let us know.

BTW I ride a cruiser 650 low end grunt bike so certainly not what I would call spirited and no silly fast corners as I ground out.
Current buns, coffee and cake would break up the run nicely.

Cheers Simon
Use your awareness of others lack of ability to focus your own!

billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Lynmouth ?

Post by billinom8s »

Start at taunton, it's a better Road to Lynmouth, go via minehead and Porlock.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

Mr Tuscan wrote: Jun 28th, '20, 15:37 Anyone fancy organising a run to Lynmouth from Bridgwater/Weston ?
Cheers Simon
Tiz a well worn path for us northerners.

Wish I could get a current bun with my grocery deliveries, they're often out of date.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver

Post by Mr Tuscan »

billinom8s wrote: Jun 28th, '20, 17:29 Start at taunton, it's a better Road to Lynmouth, go via minehead and Porlock.
Yes Taunton is doable as a start, I don't know it apart from I took my bike test there but im sure I can find wherever there

julesh
Learner Driver
First Name: julian

Post by julesh »

Gotta disagree on that Simon the road from Cannington (Bridgwater) out to Minehead is quite pleasant, some lovely scenery around the Quantocks,Kilve, Watchet etc and some nice bendy bits thrown in for good measure, double whites all the way though so best done quite early in the morning or late at night
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

MellowYellow wrote: Jun 28th, '20, 18:52
Mr Tuscan wrote: Jun 28th, '20, 15:37 Anyone fancy organising a run to Lynmouth from Bridgwater/Weston ?
Cheers Simon
Tiz a well worn path for us northerners.

Wish I could get a current bun with my grocery deliveries, they're often out of date.
I see watt you did ..... =)) Date and Currents are two very different things. Didn't realise Waitrose sold either ...... 8-} x_x
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

julesh wrote: Jun 29th, '20, 14:07 Gotta disagree on that Simon the road from Cannington (Bridgwater) out to Minehead is quite pleasant, some lovely scenery around the Quantocks,Kilve, Watchet etc and some nice bendy bits thrown in for good measure, double whites all the way though so best done quite early in the morning or late at night
True, only thing is, you'll get more people from 'down south' for a taunton start than a bridgy start.
You can then ride from taunton to Bridgwater etc.
KTM 990 superduke R,
Scotty
Learner Driver

Post by Scotty »

julesh wrote: Jun 29th, '20, 14:07 Gotta disagree on that Simon the road from Cannington (Bridgwater) out to Minehead is quite pleasant, some lovely scenery around the Quantocks,Kilve, Watchet etc and some nice bendy bits thrown in for good measure, double whites all the way though so best done quite early in the morning or late at night
This road used to be good before the accountants stipulated a blanket 50 limit (so they save money on road maintenance) and the safety nazis painted blanket solid double whites virtually all the way along it. Try making progress when stuck behind a Morrison’s truck.... X( The road from Taunton to Williton (where they converge) is far better
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver

Post by Mr Tuscan »

I get the impression this is being seen more from racing bikes rather than a cruiser bike POV ?

Double white lines....

billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

No, it's more if you get anything that's doing 30 flat out (caravan, lorry, Volvo) you won't be able to overtake and get back up to the 50 posted limit for about 20 miles.
KTM 990 superduke R,
Mr Tuscan
Learner Driver

Post by Mr Tuscan »

Ahh I see, I’m still learning the vibes and slang.

Still only been out with two riders.
I can see myself doing the run on my own if nothing comes up, mind you that’s a good way to learn

Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Riding on your own can be a good way to gain experience as it allows you to set your own pace and not feel pressured. I quite enjoy the odd solo ride, especially since putting an intercom in my lid so I can listen to the radio or my music whilst riding.

You could rig up a temporary sat nav so you can let it do the navigation, then you can just enjoy the ride.

Another thing you could do would be to post your ride up here and say where you're planning to stop. That way if someone else is out they could plan to meet you at a stop.

Are there any local rides on the facebook group you posted on previously?
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

Biker that I was following for 20 mins behind a horse box back towards Taunton along the double-white moving chicane nearly killed himself. We were on a ride and some were stuck a way behind us and some had off-buggered at an earlier opportunity.

He'd had ENUFFFF and went for a full-blooded overtake as soon as the doubles disappeared. A LWB Land Rover coming tother way was slowly turning right across out paths in front of the horse box, not having seen the 2 bikes hidden behind it. I thought he'd had it but somehow he missed it.

It was so close that I had to stop for a while at the 1st. opportunity with shock.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?