Ferries from the southwest to France

Look in here for all other biking events and biker friendly places...

Moderator: Staff

Primalcarl
Learner Driver
First Name: Carl

Ferries from the southwest to France

Post by Primalcarl »

I haven't had my full licence long but wouldn't mind going away for a weekend to France.

The most obvious port that springs to mind is Plymouth, but it's quite a long trip to Roscoff.

Where do you guys catch ferries from, and are there ever offers on or are the prices pretty standard?
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Re: Ferries from the southwest to France

Post by TLS-Moose »

Plymouth - Roscoff, long sailing, port is in middle of nowhere.

Poole -cherbourg probably best compromise of ferry port location vs crossing time.

Portsmouth - St Malo, very long crossing, but St Malo is nice.

Portsmouth - Caen, quick crossing but Portsmouth is a pain to drive home from.

Portsmouth - Le Have, ditto.

If you are looking for somewhere to stay, look up "moto taranis" ..... comes highly.recom.ended .......

http://www.mototaranis.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Oh, and take a night crossing. Gets you off at dawn and gives a nice excuse to stop for a coffee & croissant at a cafe for breakfast ....
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

Depends where you wanna go.

Eurotunnel is about half an hour crossing but you're talking 4 hours ride to Folkestone non stop and around £40 each way
Dover-Calais/Dunkirk is probably cheapest but about 4 1/2-5 hours ride and 1 1/2 hours on the ferry.

Harwich- Hook of Holland is an overnight ferry if you want to do Holland/North Germany. £120 odd quid will get you a cabin for the night for 2 peeps and a bike. Personally, it's as long as it's broad.

Newhaven-Dieppe is another option. :-??
Running on MT
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

one advantage of roscoff being in the middle of nowhere is the roads are quiet when you get off, apart from british tourists roaming around like chickens with their heads cut off , there are some nice places around Roscoff, St pol de leon , is nice , 1/2 an hour or less and you are in Morlaix , or Brest and Quimper are only a bit further away.some nice little ports around as well like Camaret, Audierne, Douarnanez , or head east for some spectacular coastline in places

After 22 years delivering shellfish in the area i got to know it a bit
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Primalcarl
Learner Driver
First Name: Carl

Post by Primalcarl »

Cheers guys! Really useful info. Gonna plan a mini break soon I think