"Kneedown" Course - Exeter Fri 29 July -

Look in here for all other biking events and biker friendly places...

Moderator: Staff

DaveH
Learner Driver
First Name: Dave

"Kneedown" Course - Exeter Fri 29 July -

Post by DaveH »

People I know have raved about this course

http://www.i2imca.com/KneeDown.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.i2imca.com/booking/Results.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone else going?
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: "Kneedown" Course - Exeter Fri 29 July -

Post by billinom8s »

£250 !

think i'll wait
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

I've done foot down a couple of times. Getting quite good at it.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
DaveH
Learner Driver
First Name: Dave

Post by DaveH »

I've also done arse, back, shoulders and back of helmet down as well - didn't enjoy it much ;-)
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

MellowYellow wrote:I've done foot down a couple of times. Getting quite good at it.
:)) :)) :))
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Kata
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Post by Kata »

Looks interesting but the other side of the Country...
Gimlet
Learner Driver
First Name: Jim

Post by Gimlet »

For the price I'd rather do a Ron Haslam Premier course. Knee down is all about body position not mental speeds and big balls and I expect they cover that and a whole lot more besides on a track course. In any case, there's no advantage in scraping your knees on the road but there's every point using the weight shifting and body positioning that goes with it and you can learn that without spending £250.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
KTM 1190 Adventure
Belladonna

Post by Belladonna »

MellowYellow wrote:I've done foot down a couple of times. Getting quite good at it.
DaveH wrote:I've also done arse, back, shoulders and back of helmet down as well...
Pfffft done it all. Also I have done knee, hip and shoulder all at once. So if anyone fancy some lessons in that please do not hesitate to contact me. Not cheap but 6 months off road and off work included B-)
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

There is an alternative.... You could learn to do it properly and have a ball at the same time - come and join a bunch of us at Cadwell on 8-9 August, an environment where getting your knee down is both useful and relevant, and you won't get tugged by the old bill for dangerous riding. :-bd
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

What's the noise restriction at Cadwell?
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

Regular ACU limit of 105 Db (static, they don't do a drive-by test at Cadwell). My SuperDuke with Akrapovic Evo cans and without baffles registered 96Db last time I was there.
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
BladeMan
Learner Driver
First Name: Mark

Post by BladeMan »

£250?
Put your toes on the pegs go into the corner shift your ass off to the side, get your arm going across the tank and have your head past the screen. then it just happens :)

I done it the first time I went on the track and every time after never on the road but don't see the need to.
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

These are useful guides. Its all about body position.
https://rideapart.com/articles/how-to-g ... own?page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://biketrackdayshub.com/how-to-get-your-knee-down/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have scuffed my knees on the road but to be honest I find it distracting, especially on unfamiliar roads. But hanging off and transferring weight to the inside of the bike makes a world of difference to cornering speed, grip, feel and the whole dynamic of cornering. You don't need to stick your knee out to get the benefit.
The point in the links about transferring G forces through your outside leg as your knee locks into the tank leaving your arms and inside leg relaxed and mobile is particularly relevant. The amount of countersteer required when doing this is reduced and fast riding becomes far less tiring. You can feel the bike being heeled over into the bend by your outside knee with little perceived effort on the bars. That is very useful when riding on the road. You can ride faster for longer without fatigue and with greater confidence in the bends.
It does help if your bike has the sort of ergonomics that make smooth weight shifts from one side to the other easy without too many contortions or over-weighting one foot peg and upsetting the bike. Can't do it on my SMT, makes it wallow like a pig in a ditch (long travel suspension, upright riding position and a lack of rider finesse I think) but on the sporty Ducati its the most natural thing in the world.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

I'm guessing from most of the comments here, that few have actually bothered to follow the links & see what the course entails, preferring to assume it's just a question of going round in ever decreasing circles until you hit the tarmac with your knee or fall off.

In the clips, etc, I saw its a lot about grip, stability, confidence, low speed bike control/techniques, etc, on various surfaces, which are readily transferrable to road riding. Possibly more so than endlessly riding around the same bits I tarmac on a track, devoid of diesel, grit, white lines, etc ......
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away