Biker Destinations in Devon

Look in here for all other biking events and biker friendly places...

Moderator: Staff

Stgeorge
Learner Driver
First Name: Rich

Biker Destinations in Devon

Post by Stgeorge »

Hi,

Are there any popular destinations that bikers tend to end up at in Devon? I'm thinking of times when I'm out for a nice ride but there isn't an organised ride-out.

I know in Dorset many people congregate at West Bay. Is there anywhere in north or east Devon or down Teignmouth way that I might bump into a some other bikers if I'm out and about over Easter Weekend? I would be starting from Tiverton on a small bike so would be avoiding dual-carriageways and wouldn't want to go as far as the South Hams.

Hope that isn't a stupid question - I'm new to the forums.

Thanks,
Rick.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Biker Destinations in Devon

Post by billinom8s »

bude is always good, so is captain jaspers in plymouth
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

The food wagon in Torrington usually has bikers meeting for a brew also. Not a big "meeting point" but sometimes a giggle.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

+1 on the above. Minehead also
Running on MT
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

The Westcountry inn on the A39 near Hartland , Laura the landlady is a biker and has bike nights every tuesday all year , tea and coffe for a £1 a cup and 20% discount on food for bikers on tuesday evenings
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

Mervin wrote:The Westcountry inn on the A39 near Hartland
D'ya know ? I have never realised how long the A 39 is. Starts about 10 miles from myouse and twists and turns all the way down to pixieland. Some 200 miles !

Looks like a new ride-out possibility. Mmmmmm, thinksssssss.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Mervin
SWB Subscriber

Post by Mervin »

MellowYellow wrote:
D'ya know ? I have never realised how long the A 39 is. Starts about 10 miles from myouse and twists and turns all the way down to pixieland. Some 200 miles !

oh yes it has some interesting bits for sure , like the infamous Porlock hill. etc
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Mervin
SWB Subscriber

Post by Mervin »

MellowYellow wrote:

And if you are doing that and want a brew on the way through I live just a couple of miles off that road , between Bideford and Bude , Just before the Dvon Cornwall border
Hunter S Thompson
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

Depends on what you want from riding?
Is it about the destination or the journey ?
I ride a pretty busy overcrowded road to get to Westbay and que up and wait around to get some food. What I should be doing is riding to Launston pie stop cafe for some great food and a massive choice of fantastic roads through no man's land.
ST4
DRZ400e
Stgeorge
Learner Driver
First Name: Rich

Post by Stgeorge »

Thanks for the replies, most were a bit further away than I wanted to go.

So I headed out from Tiverton down through Exeter, via Cullompton and Broadclyst then meandered down the western side of the Exe estuary. I parked up near Powderham church behind a car sporting an swbikers.com bumper sticker and had a picnic on the river side before heading down towards Teignmouth and then heading home on the same reverse route.

I stopped very briefly at Dawlish Warren but it was just too 'people-y' there for my taste. There was a very nice Honda Shadow parked up there that was so polished and gleaming that it made me embarrassed to be in the same car park. (I have a slight rust problem at the moment).

Next chance I get I will probably aim for Beer or possibly Lyme Regis. I like the sound of going up to MInehead but I'm a bit nervous of being out of mobile phone signal on the way up there.
Dailaughing
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Post by Dailaughing »

MellowYellow wrote:Looks like a new ride-out possibility. Mmmmmm, thinksssssss.
The Devon bit is great but I found the bit from Bude to proper Cornwall a bit tedious despite what should be good bends. Mind you the first time it had poured from Bridgewater on and the second time was unexpected as they closed the A30 and we were both exhausted and aching and not wanting any extension to our ride.

The good bits in that area are definitely on various roads between the A39 and the A30 in Cornwall so well worth exploring.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Stgeorge wrote: Next chance I get I will probably aim for Beer or possibly Lyme Regis.
Sidmouth is nice, Lyme regis is a favourite of mine too but not a major bike hang out. Beer is a no no!
The streets have become very un-biker friendly. Locals are up in arms but pretty much all the usual off street parking places for bikes have had restrict notices placed on them. Just the street bays (normally full) and the car parks out the back (not so good or safe as they are hidden away).

I'd drive down to beer but take the road between there to Seaton as it's a lovely stretch of tarmac. Nothing much happens at Seaton (for bikes) but there is a Tesco for fuel and a Costa. ;)
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.