Bike Safe

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Bike Safe

Post by ptolemyx »

Started legally riding in the road 1971. Passed test 1972. Further training since then by the school of hard knocks - been lucky with that. At last I'm going on a Bike Safe day down Exeter tomorrow...

I'll then give you my assessment of the experts :mrgreen:
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber

Re: Bike Safe

Post by ptolemyx »

In all seriousity, I really want to see what dangerous bad behaviours (bike riding ones, Nicholas) I have. The other ones, those I'm not aware of.
Red5
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Nick
Location: If there's a bright centre to the universe, it's the rock it's farthest from

Post by Red5 »

ptolemyx wrote: Oct 12th, '19, 05:20 In all seriousity, I really want to see what dangerous bad behaviours (bike riding ones, Nicholas) I have. The other ones, those I'm not aware of.
It's OK Brian, I won't tell anyone =))
Enjoy the day, I've done several overcthe years and while it's not a full on training programme, I'll be very surprised if you come away having not picked up something, how ever minor it might be. Enjoy :D
Don't care who you are, how much you have, how powerful you are. You still sit on the toilet with your pants around your ankles. Yep, it's a level playing field..
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Only the British would pay someone to criticise them, I'm lucky in that Claire has never charged me for it. :)):
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Ming
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Andy

Post by Ming »

I did one in Barnstaple about 5 or 6 years ago when I came back to road riding after years on enduro bikes.

Glad to say there wasn't much wrong with my riding, just a couple of pointers regarding town riding. The copper had a Versys 650 at home (same as I was on at the time) and we spent much of the down time chatting about them and the general standard of bike riding in the SW. After an intial run where he followed and observed, he just told me the route and told me to make decent progress without keeping to the national limits.
I wonder how many drivers we overtook thought I was being chased by a copper on a marked R1200RT!
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Honda CB300R - can I get any smaller 🙄
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber

Post by ptolemyx »

That's the bit that concerns me. The bumf and website info' states keeping to speed limits. While I do that in 30s and 40s I don't think I can on the open road. Hopefully that's them covering themselves and we can ride normally.....

only kidding hoffisir, honest :twisted:
Kata
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Post by Kata »

I've done it and you don't keep to limits but don't do the sort of speeds you do in Wales. :-)

Enough for a bit of entertainment but respectful that you have a copper with a camera right behind you...
Red5
SWB Subscriber
Location: If there's a bright centre to the universe, it's the rock it's farthest from

Post by Red5 »

Just don't go in there thinking "I know it all..." and it'll be fine.
Don't care who you are, how much you have, how powerful you are. You still sit on the toilet with your pants around your ankles. Yep, it's a level playing field..
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

I've done a few, generally don't do them around here so that I have to pay more attention to the roads :8o)):

IT'S strange having a cop riding behind you and having to tell yourself you aren't being pulled over.

You'll stick to Limits quite easily Brian, then try to keep up with him when he leads at them.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Red5
SWB Subscriber

Post by Red5 »

Hey Brian, how was it I the end? Hope you managed to avoid the rain showers...
Shooey
Learner Driver
First Name: Paul

Post by Shooey »

ptolemyx wrote: Oct 12th, '19, 05:16 Started legally riding in the road 1971. Passed test 1972. Further training since then by the school of hard knocks - been lucky with that. At last I'm going on a Bike Safe day down Exeter tomorrow...

I'll then give you my assessment of the experts :mrgreen:
Well Brian .... do you still have a licence?? 🤣🤣
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber

Post by ptolemyx »

Interesting day. They're obviously passionate to help us reduce the statistics. I most definitely do not know it all (as you all will have observed) but in all honesty I didn't learn anything new. I hoped they would highlight the bad riding habits that I'm not aware of but, happily, nothing significant was flagged. Ride out was fun, if a tad slow :roll:

No, I will not be going all Rospa/IAM but am resolved to try and keep better hazard perception at the front of my consciousness rather than in the back of my mind on the bike.