Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Maybe Going Track Only

Post by menzies3032 » Dec 2nd, '19, 15:06

Hi All

As some of you might be aware I have been discussing for a while now the idea of changing what I do bike related. When the conversation started there was a push from the family for me to give up bikes completely but after much sole searching its clear to me that my love for all things motorbike is still very much alive and I need motorbikes in my life, I am not leaving this forum and still want to be as active as possible.

However as my confidence and ability on track improves so does my general riding skill on the road. I am finding myself becoming increasingly aware that enjoying myself on the road is getting quicker and quicker and my ability to see the danger in my speed is getting smaller and smaller which is either going to send me to jail or will not end well.

I am conscious a lot of people on here have already done the same and have given up or taken a sabbatical from road riding and just do track riding.

1) How did you find the change?
2) Do you look back and wish you were still on the road?
3) Is anybody else considering a similar thing?

I realise on a motorbike forum the response is going to probably be "whats the matter with you" or "your nuts" but I know there are others out there that have gone through a similar thing and would welcome your comments and feedback on the experience.

By the way this also means the current plan is my Gixxer will be up for sale around Feb / March time if anybody would be interested. :)]
Living in Teignmouth, Riding a Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Follow me on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDMdBs ... TR70_NBKjA

Jug_Inspector
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Re: Maybe Going Track Only

Post by Jug_Inspector » Dec 2nd, '19, 15:22

Nothing wrong with doing that, and it could well be safer.

Only thing I'd suggest is that right now you have probably had the wrong bike as a road bike. A thousand CC sportbike is only really good for going very fast, it's power curve and gearing is setup for 100mph+ so it's hardly surprising that you find yourself going faster & faster to 'feel the bike'.

The way I see it you have 4 other options that could open up a new biking experience for you.

Cruiser/street bike/medium naked - this is all about taking easy and having fun, taking in the scenery and social side of motorcycling.
Super naked - lots of punchy acceleration without need to be at triple digits.
SportTourer/Adventure bike - a good do it all bike that could also open up opportunities for weekends away.
Trail bike - this will allow you to develop your riding skill and compliment your track riding.

menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 » Dec 2nd, '19, 16:00

Jug_Inspector

Great feedback thanks.

I have to say that I do totally agree with you, a 1000cc sports bike is just not usable on the roads. Its got so much power at every point of the rev band that in any gear when you twist the throttle and it shoots you to the moon. Having moved up from a 600cc sports bike a few years ago I have to say I think it was the wrong decision for the road and should have gone to a different style at that point.

I really do like the idea of medium weight naked's .. something like a triumph 765 RS would be fantastic and I think is the direction to go, but family finances, work changes, available time with the family / to go for a ride being very limited. I just feel its time for a break so that when I do get on a bike its 100% enjoyment and can focus on having fun without any guilt about what else I know I should be doing.

But I do not see road riding stopping for ever as I say above just a "sabbatical" for a period of time until things change and settle down. I will be keeping all my biking gear and plan at some point in the future to still be leading SWB ride outs..... just maybe not in 2020.

Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian » Dec 2nd, '19, 19:23

You already know my feelings to this rob because we had that little chat at pembrey but I will say again.

Dont give up road riding completely.
Even just jumping on a sub £1000 bike just for a cruise to breakfast or a chat at mates I couldn't give it up completely.

I am having more fun riding the street twin than speed triple just because it's fun and I miss my old msx125 just for smiles per mile.
I recon the 300/390 would be a very happy compromise for road.
And you would come out of selling the gixxer and buying a little bike and have some pennies in your pocket.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"

TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose » Dec 2nd, '19, 21:36

If a thou is too much, something like a 765 will be no different. Even a 600 sports bike (GSXR/CBR/etc) will encourage and be capable of silly speeds.
If you can't bring yourself to consider a cruiser, try a few test rides on some oddballs - the KTM 790, triumph twins, maybe even something like the R9t or a guzzi?
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away

menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 » Dec 2nd, '19, 21:53

Huuuummmmm

Thanks gents

Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty » Dec 2nd, '19, 21:58

It’s notable how things go in cycles (no pun intended) - up until 2013 I got my biggest kicks from trackdays (and off-roading) - I’d ridden sports bikes on the road since the mid-80s and had been misbehaving on a ZX-10R since 2004. I bought a Tiger 800 in 2013 and it was a revelation, all of a sudden I didn’t feel the urge to tear around everywhere at a millionty, and the ZX road bike became somewhat overlooked.
Following a somewhat life-changing brain haemorrhage in early 2014, sports bikes had to become a thing of the past, and both my ZX-10Rs were sold and replaced with 990 SuperDukes. I found that I wasn’t using the Tiger as much, preferring the peppier SuperDuke so it was moved on. Last year the 990 road bike made way for a 1290 of the same stable and to be honest I’ve never enjoyed road riding as much as I do with the 1290, and it’s mostly down to having the right bike for the job. Below 100mph its performance, handling and brakes can match any sportsbike and its ergonomics are way ahead for the road - comfortable for hours and I’m not crippled afterwards. Unlike a litre Superbike it doesn’t have to be travelling at 3-figure speeds to make sense. Getting my kicks at largely sub-100mph speeds bodes better for longevity of both life and licence.
I’m not suggesting that Rob should fork out heaps for a 1290 SDR, but it’s a case of getting the right tool for the job. There are many bikes more suitable for road use than a Gixxer thou - a Street Triple for one. Early models are easily affordable nowadays and they’re a top bike, more fun than many Japanese contemporaries.
This is probably an extremely long-winded way of saying that it’s worth considering alternatives before pulling the plug. Try a few test rides and see what’s an option, you might enjoy a change. I certainly did.
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever

julesh
Learner Driver
First Name: julian

Post by julesh » Dec 3rd, '19, 04:24

Agree with what's been said so far, I got rid of my Fireblade and replaced it with a hypermotard 796, completely different,more relaxed, style of riding,perfect for sunny evening hooning around the b and c roads, I can still get my fix without the need to see 150mph+

tomr6
Learner Driver
First Name: Tom

Post by tomr6 » Dec 3rd, '19, 05:11

I finally stopped riding sports bikes on the road last year for exactly the same reason. Riding harder to get less of a buzz. Converted my gixxer thou k6 to track only and really enjoy that pure adrenaline rush.
I stopped riding 600's years ago for the same reason as I was always chasing the 10k rpm buzz.
Like many others I couldn't give up road riding and use a busa for that. I know will think that's counter intuitive but believe me it isn't. The busa is a torquey beast and very comfortable on long journeys. More importantly it makes me smile when I open the garage door :-) Same as the others say, enough to keep you happy under a ton but still some in there to have a last in the right conditions.
In short, I fully understand stopping riding sports bikes on the road but not ready to jack it in completely yet.
Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
[img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/TomWW/tomr6copy3.jpg[/img]

billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s » Dec 3rd, '19, 07:09

Got rid of my R1 after my accident and my arms couldn't take the riding position.
Riding my 990 SDr is more fun than I could imagine, would never go back to a superbike on the road.

Giving up the road IMHO would mean you'd be out of practice for when you do get to the track. What you you do, 9-10 days a year? Is that enough?

A smaller bike or different style would be as much fun as you'd be learning new ways of doing things.

CB500 ?
Supermoto?
don't forget we are on twitter believe it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, WR250
Suspension and bike work undertaken.

ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx » Dec 3rd, '19, 07:11

How about selling the gixxer to fund doing up an older non-sports bike. Stay off the road while you're working on it. You'll enjoy the tinkering and maybe learn a few things, hopefully ending up with a nice road bike that might have enough charm to be nice to ride without having to show how big your balls are?

BTW I can't sit comfortably after the last ride on the Busa :mrgreen:
tuned & modified 08 B-King - stockish 14 Busa - modified 01 FZS1000 - a nutter on all three :twisted:

jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Post by jer r1 » Dec 3rd, '19, 16:00

Will probably be shot down by the Devon mafia for saying it but bollocks to em. Surely if the mentality isn't to ride safe rather than to associate good riding with riding fast then it wouldn't make much difference what bike you ride as most bikes over 125 will be capable of loosening your license if you just go balls out. Throttles unlike switches only do whats put into them, but that applies to track riding aswell, you still need common sense and self control or you just end up as ' that cock that thinks he's racing ,not on a track day '. I moved away from a superbike for road riding this year, due mainly to touring with a pillion, but in the 12 years I had the r1 performance never became a cause to think I would be safer on a different style of bike, that only comes through learning to ride safer. You hear people saying they've done bikesafe days and the police riders couldn't teach them anything, try out running one and see who's bike gets out of shape first. Training will make you more aware of your surroundings and makes a huge difference to your riding enjoyment, it's surprising the amount of riders that are constantly fighting the bike due to bad road positioning and gear selection. Have a good think over the winter Rob, maybe just thinking more about how you ride rather than how fast could keep you road riding next year. Advanced training isn't all doddery old farts on old slow bikes, most of them are very quick riders but they ride smooth and effortlessly and build a safety bubble around themselves to stay as safe as possible.
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON

Kata
SWB Subscriber
First Name: John

Post by Kata » Dec 3rd, '19, 21:15

Following from Jer R1, when I thought I was going to fast (quiet at the back) i made a decision to buy my cb1300s. It had a fair bit of torque and about 114bhp but it felt fine just trundling along at around the speed limit. Quite different to the bikes I'd had before. Not sure if it was safer but I enjoyed going slower for a while.

Have you thought about touring instead perhaps with the misses if you get child care? That's also fun and you dont have to go knee down everywhere.

You could also swap your k7 with my k5
That might slow you down a bit. :-)

TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose » Dec 3rd, '19, 21:54

Sticking to your Suzi roots ....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away

goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants » Dec 3rd, '19, 22:12

My k3 track bike might be up for grabs soon if interested
Running on MT