What size number plate do you run with?

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

Jug_Inspector
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Re: What size number plate do you run with?

Post by Jug_Inspector » May 19th, '20, 06:17

I also had some text added to the bottom of the plate because I thought at a distance it would look like the proper info was on there. :D

Streetmann
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Craig

Post by Streetmann » May 19th, '20, 06:43

I didnt no you could get done for the text at the bottom learn something new every day

jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Post by jer r1 » May 19th, '20, 07:06

Think it's also supposed to have a set size black boarder, but nor certain on that.
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON

Jug_Inspector
Learner Driver

Post by Jug_Inspector » May 19th, '20, 07:07

It's not that you get done for the text. It's that you can be done for not having the right text.

Lifted from google
By law, each number plate must display a permanent mark of the following information: The name and postcode of the supplying outlet. The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d). The name or trade mark of the manufacturer or component supplier.
I think you're very unlikley to get pulled for a non legal plate (around here) but if stopped for any reason you have given them an excuse to fine you. If pulled for speeding I think it'd be very likely that you'd also get done for the plate.

That said.. I still think it's worth the risk as the standard plate size is too big.

Nick_ish
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Nick

Post by Nick_ish » May 19th, '20, 09:59

Aye i'm aware of that one, tis the toy bike for me...so kinda goes with the territory lol
Based in Liverton, from liverpool :-h
Cb500x :)): Blandit 6

billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s » May 19th, '20, 14:59

I've got text on mine, always have. Even when I got stopped for a letterbox style plate they never mentioned the writing.
don't forget we are on twitter believe it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, WR250
Suspension and bike work undertaken.

ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx » May 20th, '20, 04:20

Been thinking about getting a new plate with the text "nutter on board" but that would definitely not amuse Mr Plod should he decide I need a roadside lecture......like what happened yesterday. First time I've been pulled in decades and the youthful boy in blue pointed out my small plate and fruity exhaust before the lecture about me riding like a tit. And I'm the one been banging on about we should all ride responsibly at the mo' due to being in the public eye more than usual. Fortunately no fines coming due to the application of tons of humble pie.
tuned & modified 08 B-King - stockish 14 Busa - modified 01 FZS1000 - a nutter on all three :twisted:

Streetmann
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Craig

Post by Streetmann » May 20th, '20, 06:55

ptolemyx wrote:
May 20th, '20, 04:20
Been thinking about getting a new plate with the text "nutter on board" but that would definitely not amuse Mr Plod should he decide I need a roadside lecture......like what happened yesterday. First time I've been pulled in decades and the youthful boy in blue pointed out my small plate and fruity exhaust before the lecture about me riding like a tit. And I'm the one been banging on about we should all ride responsibly at the mo' due to being in the public eye more than usual. Fortunately no fines coming due to the application of tons of humble pie.
Goes a long way taking the lecture like a naughty school boy or be it hard some times but they really do appreciate it when we go yes sir no sir three bags full sir 🤣

Jug_Inspector
Learner Driver

Post by Jug_Inspector » May 20th, '20, 08:31

Yeh.. and it's hard to sell " sorry officer, I normally never do that" when your number plate says "I always do that".

billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s » May 30th, '20, 09:54

ptolemyx wrote:
May 20th, '20, 04:20

Did you look in the mirror and get blues and twos?

Also, gentle reminder for plod that if it passes the MOT with said exhaust - it's Road legal.
don't forget we are on twitter believe it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, WR250
Suspension and bike work undertaken.

Jug_Inspector
Learner Driver

Post by Jug_Inspector » May 30th, '20, 10:44

billinom8s wrote:
May 30th, '20, 09:54
Also, gentle reminder for plod that if it passes the MOT with said exhaust - it's Road legal.
Nope! and lets not go down that line of defence as we don't want to alienate our friendly MOT places.

The plods know we change our own exhausts and likely revert back for the MOT, the MOT place is going deny that the loud pipe was on there during the test, and afterwards you can forget going back there again.

I have had one MOT at a total "jobs worth" place, which had already decided to fail me due to the front tyre bead broken (which I was as I couldn't fit tyres back then) and a loud exhaust, which even though it was the OEM standard pipe it was very loud, too loud for road use.
So both of those reasons were correct and grounds for failing.

However they kept me waiting for a further 45 mins whilst waiting for the DLVA to get back to them and tell them that although my bike has a dual size seat (which is standard across all versions), mine was the non-pillion "enduro" version and so didn't need rear foot rest in order to pass.
Now they were just doing their job I suppose, they wanted to make sure they gave me a full list of what needed sorting so I guess you can't hold that against them. I sorted the exhaust and front tyre but didn't go back there again. I found a more easy going place instead.

So I'd suggest if you don't want every MOT place in the UK to be like that then it might be good idea to take the blame for your own mods.