Coronavirus/Covid-19 - Biking updates.

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Coronavirus/Covid-19 - Biking updates.

Post by Robbo87 »

Thought it might be useful to post up any updates that come in regarding what we're allowed to to do biking-wise during this pandemic.

Here's one I've lifted from the Bennetts Bikesocial newsletter; It's a bit of a read but clarifies the situation for UK bikers as it stands today:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... d=68619794
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Re: Coronavirus/Covid-19 - Biking updates.

Post by ptolemyx »

Now that is a sensible explanation. There is a lot of nonsense out there that might encourage some to bend what is acceptable. At the present time I think we should all be careful regarding the general public's perception of the biking community.....so I won't be brushing past wing mirrors at 200+ for a while :mrgreen:
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Fozz
Learner Driver
First Name: Colin

Post by Fozz »

well ive just passed four middle aged scooter riders sat on the grass together not social distancing outside a cafe in Langport drinking coffee,so excellent start !!,
The cafe in question,the Bridge cafe,in my opinion should have been forced to close as they have been letting walkers and cyclists use there seating and car park to gather throughout the pandemic.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

The more people listen to the rules the quicker we get out of this mess. We are already the 2nd worst country in the world for number of cases and deaths. So now is really not the time to be meeting up with mates for a natter and a coffee.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

Imo it's social distancing that's the key phrase for bikers. It happens naturaly during any rideout of course and Joe Public probably has no problem at all with a bunch of bikers riding with a bit of respect and restraint. However, when the guy in the street who's doing his or her best to keep within the spirit of the lockdown guidelines and then sees bikers off their bikes, in large social groups and flouting them openly (and we've all seen examples of that on social media); what's he to think? It's another nail in the coffin as far as he's concerned.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

Imo it's social distancing that's the key phrase for bikers. It happens naturaly during any rideout of course and Joe Public probably has no problem at all with a bunch of bikers riding with a bit of respect and restraint. However, when the guy in the street who's doing his or her best to keep within the spirit of the lockdown guidelines and then sees bikers off their bikes, in large social groups and flouting the rules openly (and we've all seen examples of that on social media); what's he to think? It's another nail in the coffin of tolerance as far as he's concerned and who can blame him.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

On Sunday I found it to be hit & miss.

Lynmouth - on the front bikers had formed distinct groups and had spaced out between them - it worked fine and so we also stopped there.

Lynmouth - the car park at the top by the cafe looked more dis-organised, it appeared to be just a collection of bike/bikers with no real distancing, but I can't be sure as I didn't go in.

Minehead - Fail... big collection of bikes & bikers all on the corner, buying chips & coffee from the shops opposite. They may not have actually been grouping but it looked like they were so it's a perception fail.

Out on roads was mainly OK - mostly just bikes in pairs but I did see a couple of larger groups.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

Lifted the following from Larry (Cheers Larry :-bd ) that was posted in another topic. I'm re-posting it here as a sort of of belt and braces reminder of how we as bikers should be seen to be keeping within the spirit of the anti-virus restrictions, much as we might feel it's o.k. not to:

Message from Chief Constable Nick Adderley - NPCC Lead for Motorcycling
Main article content
Navigation
News

10:18 22/05/2020
As the National Police Chief's Council lead for Motorcycling and BikeSafe, I thought this would be a timely reminder to explain certain restriction that exist between England and the rest of the UK.

I would want to make the point that as a keen motorcyclist myself, the temptation to start mass ride outs and social events on the motorcycling scene is huge, however the threat still posed by COVID-19 must be respected and understood to ensure that we all comply with the guidance and regulations issued by the devolved administrations.

The lives of our families, friends and all who enjoy the UK as a place to live, work or visit are still in the balance.

For clarity -

Group rides are still not allowed but if you’re in England you can ride with one friend under the following conditions:

UK government advice applicable to England only permits exercise alone, between members of the same household or with one person from another household if you stay at least two metres apart at all times.

All of us in the biker community need to respect that position and it’s now time to step-up and show how we are part of the solution and not the problem when it comes to containing the virus as well as protecting the NHS.

To that end, especially with the Bank Holiday weekend approaching I urge every one of us to remember and abide by the following advice:

Maintain social distancing at all times
Check your bike over carefully when it’s been unused for a while
If you didn't renew your bike insurance policy during lock down, do it now
Try to avoid rush hour if possible
The government has clarified that you can ride to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance so long as you respect social distancing guidance while you are there but it’s important that we don’t see large groups of motorcyclists congregating at single spots
You are an ambassador for motorcycling – ride with care, consideration and safety in mind
Be respectful of all other road users
Do not ride across UK borders unless necessary
Roads Policing teams across the UK will be out in significant numbers over the coming days and weeks and while there is a strong emphasis on engaging with motorists, if circumstances show a clear disregard for the restrictions, enforcement will be an option.

As a police motorcyclist and an avid leisure rider, I know bikers across the UK are, in the main, law-abiding, socially responsible and terrific supporters of our emergency services. I now call on that vast majority to exercise patience and understanding which will allow the wider public to see the biking community as one that can be held in high regard and trusted to do the right thing.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

Well, if that sh!tweasel Dominic Cummings can interpret lockdown rules in phase one as he pleases and drive 250 miles up-country while exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms then I can foresee a lot of people seeing the government’s frantic excusing and covering-up as giving the rest of us pretty much carte blanche to do as we please and any attempts to keep a lid on peoples movements will be overwhelmed...
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
MikeZ
Learner Driver
First Name: Mike

Post by MikeZ »

I agree excusing Cummings is big mistake.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Worse than Cummings is all the waffle excusing his atrocious behaviour. If the "leaders" want our support and trust why has he not been thoroughly condemned, instead of this cover up. Boris and the gang have minimised any public support now.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

Have I missed something?
The mainstream media are blowing this out of all proportion as it's just another way to attack to Tories...

He did what anyone else would do in that situation, he moved back to a location (whilst he was still able to) where he had a network of support and then stayed there. I feel for people who live alone and don't have family or close friends nearby to call on.
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

Both Cummings and his wife were exhibiting symptoms, so they drove 250 miles with their son (who was not exhibiting) and stayed with his parents (also not exhibiting) - the advice was for those with symptoms to self-isolate, not travel the length of the country to a symptom-free household and potentially infect more people. Other prominent figures (Scottish health secretary and a member of the SAGE group) were thrown under the bus for breaching lockdown guidelines, so why is Sh!tweasel Cummings exempted?
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

Scotty wrote: May 24th, '20, 11:00 Both Cummings and his wife were exhibiting symptoms, so they drove 250 miles with their son (who was not exhibiting) and stayed with his parents (also not exhibiting).
From what I have just read, his wife was exhibiting symptoms but it's not clear if he was.
He didn't go and stay with parents, he stayed at a separate house. His family (sister I think) would leave food & shopping on the door step for them.
He and his family isolated correctly.

That other guy (SAGE advisory) was 'servicing' his open relationship GF whilst actually being a key figure in advising against doing that, so it's right that he got sacked.
bkingalan
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Alan

Post by bkingalan »

So if I went to Southport (not exhibiting symptoms) to pick up my granddaughter (not exhibiting) from our daughter (showing symptoms in isolation) the old bill wouldn’t do NRPR check pull me give me a bollocking probably fine me .

Agree with scotty why should he be exempt Annette said it’s in the paper today he’s done something else similar again and still boris backs him 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
MV 1000 brutale rs
MV 800 turismo veloce luso