The next saga of my biking journey

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

Ruffian
First Name: ian

Re: The next saga of my biking journey

Post by Ruffian »

To me a 2k fazer would be a better option as then its bought and paid for.

Wouldn't rulle out spending 3-4k on a cracking naked rather than 2 grand deposit then 3 years (36 months of 150 a month) so another £5400. For a bike you hand back after 3 years

So you have spend £7500 and have nothing but memories??
That's not financial sence to me,

If you bought a bike for £7500 and rode it for 3 years,
At least after that time rather than handing it back you sell it for say half. (£3750) which means you have only lost half the money and

More holidays to Disneyland.

Personally I would buy outright, a few years older but at least it's yours, not the banks
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Streetmann
Learner Driver
First Name: Craig

Post by Streetmann »

It does seem a lot of money to spend on something you simply have to hand back I spent 850 quid on my z750s 150 quid making it tidy and an mot flown through last 2 mots with no issues only has 18k on the clock and it's a very tidy bike no scratches or dents no rust good honest bike
Blender81
Learner Driver
First Name: Ben

Post by Blender81 »

Buy a second hand Tuono? Get a proper mint well sorted one for £3-4
APRILIA RSV gen1....Bbrrrraaaaaaappppp
Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Phil

Post by Tvrv37 »

I would buy out of season October is when the market starts falling. Sometimes if you leave it until December you will always find someone who needs the cash for Christmas. You will be able to pick up something in as new condition with less than 3000 miles for 5-6k and keep it for two years sell it in spring with average miles for £3-4k. My Cb1000r a cracking entry into the naked market was bought in October with under 6k on the clock for £4k kept it for 18 months and sold it for £4k.I buy all my bikes this way and loose extremely little in depreciation and can often turn a profit if you sell them the following spring.
KTM 1290 SD GT, Tuono fighter V twin, RSV 1000 factory trackday, Yamaha RD250E,
Tractorwackyracer
Learner Driver
First Name: mark

Post by Tractorwackyracer »

Some people like the wow look at me I got a new bike thing when in reality it’s not yours it’s the finance company’s
There’s also the mileage excess And any damage They knock off before giving it back
I certainly wouldn’t do it
Tractorwackyracer
bambam
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jon

Post by bambam »

menzies3032 wrote: Jul 4th, '20, 23:03

Will but £2k down and then £100 to £150 per month and then hand the bike back in 3 years.
Sounds like a fantastic idea. Only wish I could have done this when I bought my zed
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Ruffian wrote: Jul 5th, '20, 09:32 To me a 2k fazer would be a better option as then its bought and paid for.

Wouldn't rulle out spending 3-4k on a cracking naked rather than 2 grand deposit then 3 years (36 months of 150 a month) so another £5400. For a bike you hand back after 3 years

At least after that time rather than handing it back you sell it for say half. (£3750) which means you have only lost half the money and

Personally I would buy outright, a few years older but at least it's yours, not the banks
But isn't that the same as anyone who buys a bike via PCP/hp/bank loan, if you change up the bike as soon as you've finished paying for it?
You're only ever borrowing the bike from the bank?
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Ruffian

Post by Ruffian »

TLS-Moose wrote: Jul 5th, '20, 18:26
Ruffian wrote: Jul 5th, '20, 09:32 To me a 2k fazer would be a better option as then its bought and paid for.

But isn't that the same as anyone who buys a bike via PCP/hp/bank loan, if you change up the bike as soon as you've finished paying for it?
You're only ever borrowing the bike from the bank?
Yep that is the same as everyone else. As you can just hand it back rather than paying the balloon payment etc. But I'm just highlighting the facts and trying to show the other side before making decisions.

Some people just see the new bike every 3 years,
Not the 6,7,8,9,10k wasted etc.
To me I couldn't do it.

Would rather buy a bike and it depreciate as then can at least sell it rather than just hand it back.

For example.

My speed triple I bought 2 years ago.
And is worth £1500 less than I paid for it.
I can live with that

As that would only be 10months payments ish.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

I know the whole concept of hire purchase is really not for everybody. In the same way as hiring track bikes seems daft to some people and totally get that. For me it works as I don’t have any big upfront outlays I can pay as I go as my monthly wages roll in. Ruffian I get what your saying about the £7k up front but that’s money that is not in my savings account for a rainy day. I personally like the security of having a bit of money behind me in the bank but at the same time in the position to get a new bike and this option (currently) works for me.

Also I really like the idea that in 3 years time the bike goes back and we start again as I want to be able to start swapping bikes more rather then keeping them for decades and this way it cuts out the need to have the conversation about I want to change my bike it’s just I’m transitioning to the next bike as part of the ongoing deal.

Again does not work for everybody but for me works to do the smaller monthly amounts rather then the bike amount up front.

By the way now have test rides booked on the Triumph 765RS on the 25th July and same day the Kawasaki Z900 and am chatting to Ocean about the BMWF900R for close to the same date. Will let you all know how I get on.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin

Post by TLS-Moose »

Don't get me wrong Ian, it's not my way, but I'm just pointing out the opposing view. If you buy new, and sell when warranty is up, there is an argument to support it, especially if you have it as a business vehicle and can offset against tax ......

In my case I have one bike that is theoretically worth more than what I payed for it (cash - cheapest on auto trader at present is £7k), and another that's probably lost £12-1500 in the 20yrs (!) I've had it (cost £3k cash when bought).

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
TLS-Moose
Site Admin

Post by TLS-Moose »

menzies3032 wrote: Jul 5th, '20, 19:22 ...... and same day the Kawasaki Z900 ......
The photos I've seen of them haven't quite gelled for me, but I saw one out and about yesterday with a fruity can on it and it looked & sounded absolutely wonderful. Very nice.

Re the whole finance thing, you don't have to buy a brand new one, do you? You could still buy a 9-12mth old one to save yourself the biggest hit of depreciation from new?

Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

menzies3032 wrote: Jul 5th, '20, 19:22 and this way it cuts out the need to have the conversation about I want to change my bike
who does this conversation need to happen with?
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Ruffian

Post by Ruffian »

menzies3032 wrote: Jul 5th, '20, 19:22 I know the whole concept of hire purchase is really not for everybody. In the same way as hiring track bikes seems daft to some people and totally get that. For me it works as I don’t have any big upfront outlays I can pay as I go as my monthly wages roll in. Ruffian I get what your saying about the £7k up front but that’s money that is not in my savings account for a rainy day. I personally like the security of having a bit of money behind me in the bank but at the same time in the position to get a new bike and this option (currently) works for me.

Also I really like the idea that in 3 years time the bike goes back and we start again as I want to be able to start swapping bikes more rather then keeping them for decades and this way it cuts out the need to have the conversation about I want to change my bike it’s just I’m transitioning to the next bike as part of the ongoing deal.

Again does not work for everybody but for me works to do the smaller monthly amounts rather then the bike amount up front.

By the way now have test rides booked on the Triumph 765RS on the 25th July and same day the Kawasaki Z900 and am chatting to Ocean about the BMWF900R for close to the same date. Will let you all know how I get on.
But I'm not stating 7k upfront, but a triumph 765rs or z900 is still going to be 9k.

But as moose pointed out. Rather than putting it on pcp and handing it back, would more look at 5k on finance and then actually own the bike at the end of it then top up in 3 years or whenever the finance is over.

At least then you own the bike for equity rather than just paying the depreciation on a toy in theory owned by someone else.

I think it's more the balloon payment I have a problem with rather than the pcp/finance.
As you hand the bike back and in essence have nothing to show for it.

Where if you bought a bike that balloon payment cheaper then you own it rather than losing it all.
Then can Px the bike you own in rather than starting from scratch etc.
Tractorwackyracer
Learner Driver
First Name: mark

Post by Tractorwackyracer »

Jug_Inspector wrote: Jul 5th, '20, 20:33
menzies3032 wrote: Jul 5th, '20, 19:22 and this way it cuts out the need to have the conversation about I want to change my bike
who does this conversation need to happen with?
Exactly Grow a [Censored] set !!!!!!!
Tractorwackyracer
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

Someone said to me once about buying another bike "over my dead body". Some years later they are now riding and have their own bike. Guess who?
Running on MT