Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

MikeZ
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Mike

Considering buying a ktm690smr

Post by MikeZ »

Ok here we go for open discussion.
I currently have Z1000daf and ccm604 rotax.
I don't take the Z out if there's salt on the roads.

So now I'm seriously considering getting a KTM690smr to replace the ccm (they sell for a good price now) as it's more modern, faster, but similar type of bike. I've always enjoyed the ccm because it's excellent through traffic and b roads and really good fun to ride without going stupid fast.

Open to discussion. . . Any advice from existing owners would be appreciated.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Re: Considering buying a ktm690smr

Post by Ruffian »

Mark (tractorwackyracer) has the 690 enduro and that is a fun bike. The 690 engine is something quite brutal.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

Had a 2016 690 SMCR before my current 2015 1290SDR. If I didn't have a bike and you put the two together and said choose one.........
It would be the 690 SMCR! Had more fun on that than 90 % of my other bikes, even if my ass was numb after 40 miles. Cheap to run (60MPG wringing its neck), hardly ever touch the brakes. Sticky tyres only lasted about 1500 miles on the back though.
MikeZ
SWB Subscriber

Post by MikeZ »

Thanks for that, made me even more sure i want the 690.
When you say 'sticky tyres' , how sticky? Everybody has different opinions on tyres.
Cheers.
scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

I use to run Conti Race Attack Endurance on mine. Fairly well priced and easy to get hold of.Everyone has favourites though.
Tractorwackyracer
Learner Driver
First Name: mark

Post by Tractorwackyracer »

My 690 is the enduro version it’s a bit of a handful off road in the technical stuff but very capable but a blast on a A or B road even on knobby tyres :D
Tractorwackyracer
MikeZ
SWB Subscriber

Post by MikeZ »

Thanks all. Just got to clear garage a bit to make room before i get one. At home it's the usual story - wife "if that's what you want? But you've already got a bike?" - Mates "Sounds awesome, go for it you'll love it."
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Just a thought... but have you considered the 690 duke, or maybe even the Husqvarna Vitpilen or Svartpilen 701?

I must admit though, I did take a look at the 690SMR last year in S&P and thought it looked smart (I'd love one in my fantasy garage) but the others might make for better road bikes.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
MikeZ
SWB Subscriber

Post by MikeZ »

Good thoughts, yes i have, also the 790 and 890. I fancy another supermoto and isn't the husky just a rebadged ktm? But there's a better seat option for the ktm i guess it will come down to best deal on the day. Also i have naked road bike. To be honest I would love a sportsbike but I can't ride them for more than about 20mins now and naked does stop the really stupid speeds.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

The husky 701 and KTM690 are very similar.
There were some differences initially but I believe the newest ones are the same now.
The KTM looks way better though IMHO.. the side panels on the Husky put me right off.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.