Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

Nuttyboy
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Alarm or tracker

Post by Nuttyboy »

Hi all
I have just ordered my new used bike, which is being delivered soon but am wondering about security.
I have always had datatool alarm immobilisers before but was thinking a tracking devise instead this time and would appreciate any advice that can be offered
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Alarm or tracker

Post by billinom8s »

They aren't so much of a deterrent as I'm the movies.

I'd stick with an alarm, some hate them because of battery drain, but if you ride it instead of storing it it's not an issue.

If they want the Bike they'll get it one way or another unfortunately, just have to make it hard. Big chains, ground anchor, disc lock.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
MikeZ
Learner Driver
First Name: Mike

Post by MikeZ »

billinom8s wrote: May 26th, '21, 22:25 They aren't so much of a deterrent as I'm the movies.

I'd stick with an alarm, some hate them because of battery drain, but if you ride it instead of storing it it's not an issue.

If they want the Bike they'll get it one way or another unfortunately, just have to make it hard. Big chains, ground anchor, disc lock.
I agree, an alarm stops the chancers especially if physical security also fitted. You cannot stop professionals if they decide they're going to have it.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

I've never witlessness anyone pay any real attention to an alarm on a vehicle that was sounding, and I think thieves nowadays are so brazen they don't seem to care either.
I also think of aftermarket alarms as 'something else that might fail and leave you stranded'.

To some degree the type & value of the bike should dictate what security you need.

If the bike is new enough and has a pretty solid immobiliser then I would go for a tracker, the thief will probably expect it to have one so might leave your bike to "cool off" for a while in a hiding place. The tracker will give you a chance to retrieve your bike before it gets collected later.

For security when out and about.. if you have to leave your bike out of sight then chain, disc lock and a cover if left for while.
For security at home, as above but also a garage alarm or even just camera equipped door bell as that will alert you if there is movement in your garage.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

I have run out of Rabid Rottweilers with aids at the moment , will let ya know when they are back in stock
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Paranoia question. Could stored tracker data be used as evidence that you might not be perfect when using the bike yourself? We're observed enough already, facial recognition on cctv is well on it's way. Soon we'll all have a chip inserted to monitor every moment in our lives. Someone will be counting all the pee stops at the side of the road :80:
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

ptolemyx wrote: May 28th, '21, 04:04 Paranoia question. Could stored tracker data be used as evidence that you might not be perfect when using the bike yourself?
I could be wrong but I don't think the anti-theft trackers store any position data, and they don't transmit it either unless it has been triggered.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Well I have just got myself a new bike and I went for tracker over the alarm. Personally I don’t think an alarm has the same meaning anymore. If your neighbours hear an alarm going off there more likely to complain about the noise then actually do something about stopping a thief.

Although the tracker might not stop the bike being stolen it’s an ace way of finding out where it is and who nicked it. There are also added benefits of recording your rides and your routes which is great when on somebody else’s ride and you have no idea where you went you can look it up after to try again.
8FAA5C6C-A2FC-4EFF-AB27-68240572F81A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Post by jer r1 »

Trackers can be blocked with a £20.00 jammer so unless you get to the bike quick there's a good chance bike would be stripped for parts in hours.
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Bugger didn't know that. that's a concern.
Not sure what i am more concerned about that you can get round a tracker for £20 or that you know about it :shock: :80:
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

I see Rob uses his tracker to record ride details. Who else might be able to access that data?
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

menzies3032 wrote: May 31st, '21, 21:34 Bugger didn't know that. that's a concern.
Not sure what i am more concerned about that you can get round a tracker for £20 or that you know about it :shock: :80:
From what I have seen (and read) most tea-leafs don't use GPS jammers. Could be because using one is broadcasting a short range signal that will disrupt systems all around the jammer. There has been cases of people being found and picking up some pretty hefty fines for using these.

It seems that one of the most common techniques used is to remove/disconnect the bikes battery and then take the bike to a remote location and leave it for a few days. If it's not discovered (and taken back) then it is assumed there is no tracker on the bike (or it's battery has run down) so the thief feels confident to move it.

But with anti-theft devices, no one system will work for all situations, and if they are very organised and target your bike then no matter what you do your bike is likely going.
Jay
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Jay

Post by Jay »

I have both on my BMW S1000RR... Awesome bit of kit and good for Insurance too.
2020 CBR1000RR-R