Winter Biking (Hot gear)

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

Ibbo
Learner Driver
First Name: Mike

Winter Biking (Hot gear)

Post by Ibbo »

Hi All, I do enjoy a ride out on a cold dry day, but I seem to get colder somewhat quicker nowadays. Last year I went up to Oxfordshire in early April, and got myself a heated jacket from the sportsbike shop. Nice Keis one. However as I rode along it would start to warm up, then go cool again, turning it off, then back on, it would warm up, then go cold.

It helped but didn't do the trick, so I sent it back. It was returned without any problem.

A trip to Weymouth last Friday night after work looked promising, and then a nice ride home Sunday in the daylight.

This year I thought I would try again with the Gerbing Jacket, and gloves. I find the heated grips a bit chunky to use having been used to Renthals, so prefer not to use them.

What a difference, as soon as I slowed down I had to turn them down.

My only learning experience was to turn the gloves on before you leave the petrol station, as after dark you can't find the on button. So all in allpretty positive for both gloves and jacket. I wear a thin polo neck under, and a down jacket above the heated jacket. A cheap membrane jacket over the top.
I was pretty warm when I got there, though next may be some heated trousers.

The ride back was good, inspite of some drizzle, and I saw a few other hardy souls out there. The usual speed camera van was out there on the A30 as you get back to Cornwall, so watch out.

Mike
R100RS. 1290GT.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Winter Biking (Hot gear)

Post by billinom8s »

post up some pics of this magical kit.

i've looked into the whole heatedd kit sie of things but not taken the plunge yet. I have heated grips and base layers that seem to do the trick atm but know these old bones and scar tissue will kick off soon. :D :D
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Tractorwackyracer
Learner Driver
First Name: mark

Post by Tractorwackyracer »

Hi I have a Kies jacket love it great for winter riding heated grips too are a bonus but have found handle bar muffs work really well keeping the wind chill off the hands to start with they might look a bit ugly but do the job
Tractorwackyracer
Ming
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Andy

Post by Ming »

I have the Gerbing jacket and gloves and they're essential for me for 6 months of the year. I have circulation problems and Raynauds so my fingers go white and numb as soon as the temps drop below about 15 degrees! The jacket doesn't need to be as hot so I have the wireless controller velcro'd to the master cylinder - I can turn either item up or down at will without stripping off.
I'm on my 3rd pair of gloves as after a few years they developed a fault and Gerbing offer a 5 year warranty on the gloves, so off they went and they sent new ones back. Then just before Christmas the right hand glove stopped working and once again they replaced the pair FOC. Can't fault their service
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Honda CB300R - can I get any smaller 🙄
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Same as Billinom8s i have a base layer and heated grips but that's about it. As a rule don't ride below 10 deg else feels like fingers and toes will snap off after a while. If there is going to be some cold Jan to March riding might need some of this heated wizardry
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Keis heated jacket, Gerbing heated gloves, heated grips and drum roll please.......

heated socks - worth their weight in gold
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

menzies3032 wrote: Jan 21st, '22, 23:40 Same as Billinom8s i have a base layer and heated grips but that's about it. As a rule don't ride below 10 deg else feels like fingers and toes will snap off after a while. If there is going to be some cold Jan to March riding might need some of this heated wizardry

Try not riding in summer gear Rob, makes it a lot nicer.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Ibbo
Learner Driver
First Name: Mike

Post by Ibbo »

It's good to hear that the warranty is top notch. They're expensive items.

I'm just glad I upgraded the alternator as they make such a huge difference.

It is a bit of a faff plugging the gloves in but well worth it.

The remote control sounds like a good idea, I had spent enough, so didn't get it. It is a bit distracting turning the jacket back to 1 as you slow down in the speed limits.

Pics to follow.
R100RS. 1290GT.
Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Phil

Post by Tvrv37 »

Got a Keis jacket for crimbo. Temperature is controlled via an app on my phone from handlebars. I know it's witchcraft!
KTM 1290 SD GT, Tuono fighter V twin, RSV 1000 factory trackday, Yamaha RD250E,