Best (cheapest) way to get a rear tyre

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

Tom L
Learner Driver

Best (cheapest) way to get a rear tyre

Post by Tom L »

I am in dire need of a new rear tyre and as my beer tokens are at all time low i was wondering if it's worth sourcing a tyre myself and then just paying a garage to fit it (ebay or something) or is not worth the hassle, should i just get a garage to do the lot.

Also if anyone has a recommendation for a garage in totnes/newton abbot etc area would be helpful too. :) I used to always go to tremletts as he did want i needed but he totally ripped my mate off so i need to find somewhere else now
i dont have a drinking problem.......if anything, i'm [i]too[/i] good at it
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Re: Best (cheapest) way to get a rear tyre

Post by TLS-Moose »

If you don't "know" anyone, most tyre places in the Exeter area will charge around £20 per tyre fitted to loose wheels if they didn't supply them :cry: CMS might be worth a shot ....... both for "part-worn" tyres and fitting :wink:
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
deej
Learner Driver
First Name: Dave

Post by deej »

Try john t's down by the roundabout or steve evans

As for tyres try ebay for partworns but that might be hard for a 400 or alternatively buy them new and not risk your life with dodgy tyres
http://www.averysmotorcycles.co.uk use code SWB10 for discount
jim1979
Learner Driver

Post by jim1979 »

Caleb. The best place for you to get tyres fitted is DMS Motorcycles, Shute Lane, Wrangaton, South Brent, Devon TQ10 9HE. Tel - 01364 73157. Just past the South brent turning. Dan will only charge you a fiver to fit and balance it to a loose wheel. As for where to get one, no idea apart from fleabay.
Redlight
Learner Driver
First Name: Tony

Post by Redlight »

I thought Sticky Stuff offered a great deal with fee delivery. Ordered tuesday turned up thursday.

http://www.sticky-stuff.co.uk/advanced_ ... from=&pto=
[img]http://www.rsvzone.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2104&dateline=1240582376[/img]
greg
Learner Driver
First Name: greg

Post by greg »

Why don't you fit them yourself?
I do, it ain't that difficult. In fact, I've been in places where it wasn't exactly a choice, which enhances the learning experience.
RE Interceptor
VTR
Learner Driver

Post by VTR »

I've used Brixham tyres in errr, Brixham :lol: for years now & haven't had any cause to complain. They've always been helpful, good on prices & I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

I recently put a set of Michelin Pilot Powers on my SP2 & the bill was £195 (loose wheels) :D
I've just done a quick comparison with Sticky Stuff from the link above & they want £92.99 for a front & £119.99 for a rear, that's £212.98 :shock: so I'd be paying £17.98 more just for the tyres....then I'd have pay a garage/dealer to get them fitted :shock:
Even if I had the tools & time to fit them myself I'd still be out of pocket!!!
mattr6
Learner Driver

Post by mattr6 »

I've just ordered a set of Rennsports (£130 per pr) so went around some local bike shops for prices. Generally seems to be £20-25 per wheel (thats taking wheel off the bike, not loose wheels). I think thats a bit steep as I can't see the job taking more then 30 minutes.

I'd happily take my wheels off but I don't have a main stand or front paddock stand. :(
deej
Learner Driver

Post by deej »

why complain about them charging you for labour to remove your wheels when it will take 30mins a wheel to remove the wheel swap the tyre over and refit wheel. if your not supporting the dealer by buying the tyre off them why should they do you any favours and fit the tyre cheap for you and miss out on a good labour rate for someone else's bike to be serviced :?:
mattr6
Learner Driver

Post by mattr6 »

deej wrote:why complain about them charging you for labour to remove your wheels when it will take 30mins a wheel to remove the wheel swap the tyre over and refit wheel. if your not supporting the dealer by buying the tyre off them why should they do you any favours and fit the tyre cheap for you and miss out on a good labour rate for someone else's bike to be serviced :?:

I'm not complaining about it as such, although I don't believe it takes an hour to do. It will still be a cheap pair of tyres if I pay the fitting cost.

As for not supporting the dealer, I would happily if he could quote anywhere near what I can get them for online. I fully understand your point- I got the bike new from local dealer, local dealer services it but moneys tight now and I need to make some savings (either that or the bike goes :( )
deej
Learner Driver

Post by deej »

i think a hour to fit and replace two tyres is fairly reasonable,it would take me a lot longer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mattr6
Learner Driver

Post by mattr6 »

Going a bit off topic here but tyres have recently shot up in price. Bridgestones seem to be going up more then others.
deej
Learner Driver

Post by deej »

probably due to them being japanese against dunlop (uk) pirelli (italy) and michelin (france) where although the euros strong against the pound teh transportation costs are stupid :roll:
DaveMcR1
Learner Driver

Post by DaveMcR1 »

Just out of interest, how do you guys who fit your own tyres balance them?